Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot access my 2nd Harddrive

• Please log in to reply

kfoster

kfoster

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I use two HD drives on my system. The C drive I put my OS and on the second one, all my programs and files. For the simple reason, if my OS crash and have to reload I want lose all my data.
I upgraded my computer by adding a new motherboard/CPU. The install went Ok and I loaded the drivers. Now when I tried to read the D: drive, I get a prompt telling me to format it. Somehow the computer think that this is a newly installed drive. This is a first, since I have upgraded my computer over the year a fews time and never had this problem. :tazz:
I checked Disk management and it say the drive is healthy and active. I don't mind reformating, most of my programs I have backup but there are some working files I hate to lose.
Is there any kind of a format without losing info or data recovery utilities I can use?

System Specs
Intell P4 2.5Ghz
512 Ram
Windows XP

Setup before upgrade (If it make a different)
AMD Althon 2.0Ghz
512 ram
Windows XP

P.S When I upgraded the C: drive booted up OK, and all I had to do was to load the new motherboard driver, and re-activated Windows

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what was the file system for the previous drive--ntfs or fat32?

Try removing the drive in device manager and rebooting so it redetects

kfoster

kfoster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
The C: drive is NTFS and the D: drive was FAT32.

Before I was running Windows 98 and FAT32 was on both drives. When I upgraded to Windows XP, and it asked for disk partition I selected the recommended NTFS. But when it finished upgrading, I still was able to access the D: drive. The reason why I changed my motherboard was because it was having boot up problem. Before that, it has been running fine until I did my motherboard change.

ShogunWarrior

ShogunWarrior

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I do the exact same: OS on C, files on D.
About a month ago the C drive crashed and died. Luckily there was nothing important on C(Windows isn't). But, when I loaded up my D drive it was corrupt. (well, it said it needed to be formatted)
I couldn't even get at it with a recovery program or winHEX.
Luckily, I had it all backed up to an external drive.
Unfortunately if windows decides it's gone, it most likely is.
You could try some programs and stuff but it doesn't look good.
-SW

kfoster

kfoster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I saw some ads about data recovery, but most seems to recover files that has been deleted or lost by viruses and such. Or you have to send the drive to a specialized lab for recovery and I think that might be expensive.
I know the information is there, and I can't believe changing hardware will wipe out my drive. Maybe a corrupt FAT header or something.
Does anyone know of a disk recovery system that I could use to help me with this particular type of problem?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.pcinspect.../uk/welcome.htm

freebie

kfoster

kfoster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Downloaded the file recovery program and did a disk scan and right off the back it said the FAT was corrupt. Completed the scan to search for my files and it found them. :tazz: My problem now is trying to transfer them. Instruction is non existing with this program, so it trail and error. Any tips on how to use this program would be appreciated.

Thank