Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Hotmail may have been hacked

• Please log in to reply

bluetown

bluetown

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
I have had my Hotmail account for over 10 years and I did notice a few weeks back that when I signed into Hotmail it said that I was signed in at more than one place.

I assumed I was signed in with my desktop and laptop.

Now I am abroad and have been able to sign in for the last week but now it wont let me sign in. I get the message

"It looks like someone else might be using your account
To help you—and only you—get back into ********************, we need to verify that it's yours."

If I click "next" I am taken to another screen asking "How do you want to receive your security code?"

It lists another hotmail address and shows the frist 2 letters and then ******** @hotmail.com. I do not have a hotmail address like that and it wont let me
change it to another email address to get the code sent to.

If I click the link below that says "I can't access any of these options" it asks for the "email address you are trying to get into" and "where should we contact you" asking for another email address. If I fill that in and click next it wants a whole load of personal details.

When I signed up years ago I did not use real details like D.O.B for security reasons and did not keep a note of what I wrote so I cannot get back in.
I am obviously concerned because I have years of emails in there and that is my main account where everything is sent to.

Any ideas of what I can do?

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Have you had a chance to read this Bluetown?

http://tech.uk.msn.c...tmail-password/

Edited by Wolfeymole, 06 January 2013 - 05:55 AM.

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Thanks for the reply wolfeymole, I had read this site.

http://windows.micro...ked-account-faq

Clicking on your link and clicking "password reset" takes me to the same page and offers to send me a password reset link but to this address tr********@hotmail.com
and I don't have that account, never did set it up. It wont let me choose another email account to send it to.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Is this the page that you went to mate?

https://account.live...etPassword.aspx

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Hi, yes that is the page.

I enter my email address and the code, then it takes me to another page

https://account.live.../password/reset

If I click "security question", it asks the security question I set, I give the correct answer, I am taken to another page
where it asks for a new password which I entered and then reenter the new password.

Then I am taken to the sign in page where I enter the new password and taken back to the "It looks like someone else might be using your account".

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Have you tried shutting Live Messenger down altogether, re-open it and then attempting to sign in again with the new password?

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Most the time I have not been signing into windows live messenger but just opening a browser.

But I have just opened live messenger and entered my old password and got the message "we can't sign you into windows loive messenger, the ID you entered is incorrect"

So I tried the nnew password I just created and got the "we have noticed there is some unusual activity in your account. Your action is needed to make sure no one else is using your account".

Can you recommend another email account I should set up so I can change the email address my bank contacts me by? Hopefully one that does not close if it is not open it for 2 weeks.

Edited by bluetown, 06 January 2013 - 07:08 AM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
What else does it say after ......"your action is needed"?

Apparently a lot of people like GMail.

https://accounts.goo...lt&ltmplcache=2

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
"Verify your account", clicking on that takes me back to

It looks like someone else might be using your account
To help you—and only you—get back into ********************, we need to verify that it's yours.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I'm sorry I can't be of further help on this Bluetown, Microsoft eh grrr.

Try GMail as it seems popular. :thumbsup:

Advertisements

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
OK thanks anyway. I have opened a gmail account.

I am trying to find out how to contact hotmail live support but just keep going round in a loop getting help pages and I have been through all that they suggest.

I am in South Africa for another 11 days and then back in the UK.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Well I wouldn't have thought that Hotmail would get iffy just because you are trying to log on via some obscure South African server but you never know with MS.

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Looks like I am not the only one with the issue.

http://answers.micro...f8-b182a5c2ffd5

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Looks like it Bluetown unfortunately.

I once had my hotmail account hacked but not to the extent where the password was changed so I changed it myself as soon as I realised.

SarahJones83

SarahJones83

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My hotmail account got hacked and everything was in arabic or some other language.
I tried logging in the next day and it wont even allow me to login.
i did not have access to the alternate email address and i filled out several forms to no avail.
they all came back saying i havent given enough information etc.
I have got it fixed now but the question is what can i use to keep myself safe since this internet is like full of people who want to get into someone's personal details. i got it fixed by going to www.hotmailhelp.co.uk
can anyone tell me which is the best antivirus and what steps should i take to ensure this doesnt happen.