Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The black screen of death - Sony Laptop

• Please log in to reply

SK79

SK79

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello

I have a Sony laptop, model VGN N31S, which was working fine until about two days ago. I was working on a word document and had hibernated the laptop. I subsequently finished my work, and logged off. The laptop was taking a long time to log off so I held the on/off button and shut it down.

I think this has caused the problem.

Now, when I press on, the Sony Viao sign and music play, and then I get a 'Windows Error Recovery' message.

It gives me the option of inserting an installation disc (I don't really know what this will do to my laptop, and not sure if I can find it) or the safe mode options including start windows normally.

I have selected those options (5 altogether) but it goes to a black screen. Yesterday, I could tell that the back light was on, but today, it seems as though it is pitch black.

I am not sure if there is a problem with the screen, as this does not explain why I would see the Viao sign at the start and the window error message.

I have attempted to take out the battery, and start with out it. It is still the same.

I don't want to lose the work on my laptop and would be very grateful if someone could help. I'm not a tech expert,so if you could break down the steps, that would really help.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

SK79

SK79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys...

Any assitance with the above? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.