Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista not loading, no access to safe mode

• Please log in to reply

Tryo

Tryo

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I hope this is the right forum for this problem but currently my computer will not start at all or progress into Windows. As such i can only access F2 and F12 for setup and boot options but I cannot get into F8 safe mode.

I have a Dell Inspiron 530S 64 bit system with Vista home edition installed. Everything was working fine until i encountered a windows explorer crashing and restarting loop due to a thumbnail on a folder located on my desktop. I have experienced this problem before in a sub folder and was able to stop the problem but changing off thumbnails and deleting the problem file. This was the first time i encountered it on the desktop. Consequently when the computer loaded, the folder would load thus initiating the cycle and locking me out from any operations to the point where i could only manually turn off the computer. Thinking i could solve it, i decided to take the hard drive out and install it as a secondary drive to delete the problem folder. I did so on an identical Dell Inspiron 530S 64 bit computer with Vista that i have access to. I was able to delete the folder when when i reinstalled the hard drive Windows wont load as described above. I double checked the the hard drive doesnt have a problem being recognized as a drive with all my info on it but windows wont load when used as a primary drive now.

I hope you can provide some assistance. I do not have any windows vista recovery disks to try but i did run a quick diagnostic from the utility partition and nothing was discovered. I also tried reseating the ram and still nothing.

*Update: I have a recovery/repair disc but have not tried using it since i am waiting for advice before i do so.

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Tryo

Tryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I went ahead and used the recovery and repair cd and was able to successfully restore Vista. I wasnt sure if it would work but had to access some files and couldnt wait. Sorry for the topic and it can now be closed but thanks for being available in case i needed the assistance.