Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Blue Font files please help...

• Please log in to reply

guardianlion75

guardianlion75

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, Im new to the site. I need help heres my problem,I regrettably agreed to disk cleanup my D drive which contains all my music and video files. Now all the files or about 90% of the files are in blue font. I could not do a System Restore because for some reason I dont have any restore points. Now i have been googling around and someone wrote i can decompressed them one by one but by going to the properties etc...,but it's like over a thousand files!! to my knowledge the files still work properly. Another person wrote that i can just turn off the visible color of compressed file but they are still compressed. My question is if i just turn off the color and leave it compressed is that a good thing. Does it hurt the quality of the file? should try to decompressed them one by one or should i just leave that way. I'M FREAKING OUT HERE PLEASE HELP ME!

Thanks In Advance.

PS. I am using Windows XP Home.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Click “Start,” “My Computer.” Right click on the hard drive that contains compressed files. Select “Properties.” Click on the check mark in the check box next to the wording “Compress drive to save disk space.” Click “Apply,” “OK” to start the uncompressing process. The process will take some time, especially if your hard drive contains a large amount of compressed files.

If prompted to restart your computer, click “Restart” or “Yes.” Once the uncompressing process is complete, the compressed files will open like other uncompressed files on your computer. You will notice a decrease in hard drive space.

guardianlion75

guardianlion75

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I right clicked the drive I am talking about but theres no check mark in the box that says "Compress drive to save disk space." :( Thanks for the reply.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
1) From the top level directory (double click the hard drive icon), select all folders and files.

2) Right click on a folder and select Properties.

3) Click advanced and check Compress contents to save disk space.

4) Click OK, OK. Select Apply changes to folders, files and subfolders. This compresses everything.

5) Repeat steps 1 and 2.

6) Click advanced and uncheck Compress contents to save disk space.

7) Click OK, OK. Select Apply changes to folders, files and subfolders. This uncompresses everything.

guardianlion75

guardianlion75

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well it took my half the day but I finally finished everything you said and as far as I know no more blue font. The only thing I'm worried about is if the music and video files lost any of it's quality? Thanks Again!

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Glad to hear it. as far as i know your files should not have been affected.