Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer One netbook "No bootable Device"

• Please log in to reply

rseay267

rseay267

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello,

I have an Acer One netbook. I had taken out the original hard drive after a crash and had reformatted it to use it as a backup disk since I decided to upgrade for more GB. Just yesterday, I put the original hard drive back in. When I bought the computer, I had made Recovery Disks in case of hard drive failures. I ran the recovery disk, but now I am getting an error message saying "No bootable Device. When I had installed the replacement hard drive, I had encountered the same problem and had been able to fix it. Of course, I do not remember what I did. I have since run the recover disk twice. When I came onto this website, I had tried to use the advice for rebooting a computer after a virus, but that is not the problem here. Also, it did not work anyway. I originally had XP, but had upgraded to Win7 when I replaced the hard drive. The recovery disk is XP, so I don't know if that is the problem or not. I also do not know if the hard drive is unusable in the computer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Renee

Edited by rseay267, 08 January 2013 - 07:36 PM.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Go into the bios for a moment and tell us if that old hard drive is listed on the main screen.

rseay267

rseay267

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I'm sorry I did not mention that because I keep looking at that. When I go into the BIOS I do see the hard drive.

Renee

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
When you removed the old hard drive and formatted it did you leave it at that or did you create a new main partition on it so as not to leave it unallocated as it were?

rseay267

rseay267

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
My dad helped me with it and we're both pretty sure that we only reformatted it, no partitioning.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Put the drive back in the machine that you used to format it and create a new full partition and make it active and then put it back in the Netbook and try again.

If you still encounter issues it may well be that the drive is faulty or that you have destroyed the recovery partition that was previously on there so the only way to do a new install would be to use either a full Retail or unbranded OEM copy of XP.

rseay267

rseay267

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello,

My father does not live near me and it was one of his computers which he used to do this. Plus, I'm not sure which of his computers he uses and he may not have the same computer - he likes to upgrade! Is it possible that I am able to reformat and partition the disk on my own computer (not the netbook)?

Thank you,
Renee

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Is it possible that I am able to reformat and partition the disk on my own computer

Yes absolutely.

rseay267

rseay267

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi,

I reformatted the drive and made 2 partitions, but the computer would still not boot. While XP came on the original hard drive, I had upgraded to Win 7, and I'm not sure if that was part of the problem. But, after putting the drive back into the netbook and starting it up with the Recovery drive, it still could not find the bootmgr. At this point, I have decided it's not worth it to keep trying to put the original drive back in, especially since there is a good possibility that it was a bad drive anyway.

Thank you for all of your help!
Renee

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
These things happen mate but thanks for letting us know. :thumbsup: