Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No WiFi or Video controlers after instaling win7

• Please log in to reply

Boerkie

Boerkie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I installed win7 professional 64bit on an Acer aspire one happy netbook. Now I have two problems.
1. The screen resolution is stuck on 800x600 and it cant be changed.
2. I cant turn on the WiFi.
On this computer i need to pres Fn and F3 to turn on the WiFi but nothing happens. The light does not go on and at the bottom right of my screen there is no network item. There usually is. I consider myself to know a lot about computers but I just can't fix this and it is driving me nuts. I have narrowed it down tho. When I go into Device Manager the only ting I find under Network adapters is Atheros AR8152 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20). It is working fine but that is for cables. Under display adapters I only get the Standard VGA Graphics Adapter. I'm not sure if there are suppose to be more but i know something is missing. When I scan for hardware changes I get a popup that say that the device software was nor successfully installed. Now the final thing I found out is under Other devices there are 2 listed.
1. Network Controller
2. Video Controller
Both of them have an yellow bubble wit and exclamation mark in them. If I try and update them I get a message that windows could not find driver software. I also can't install the VGA_Intel_6.14.10.5260 drivers because according to the driver the computer does not meet the minimum specifications. I figure that means that the computer does now know of these two parts.
I have tried to update ALL the drivers (the network drivers installed but still no WiFi. I have gone and uninstall the network and Video controller and reinstall it but that does nothing. I also installed everything I usually need for everything I do on the computer hoping something will help (like .NET, flash-player, Java and stuff like that) alto I knew it was useless.
Just a recap. No WiFi, won't turn on, cant find it.
No video controller. Can't install drivers. Cant change screen resolution.
Sorry for long read but when I help other people I want to know everything.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
What operating system was originally on the Netbook?

Boerkie

Boerkie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Win7 starter

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Acer does not support Win 7 Pro 64bit on that Netbook Boerkie.

The very best you can hope to put on it is Win 7 Ultimate 32bit, drivers for this model are available here.

http://support.acer....=1&modelId=3348

Select the operating system from the drop down box to the right.

Edited by Wolfeymole, 10 January 2013 - 02:26 AM.

Boerkie

Boerkie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks to those who tried to help. I got it fixed. I just had to update windows and not the drivers. Be word it was a lot of updating. Had to go to control panel and check for updates. Then it will install 107 updates (450 meg) but 45 will fail but it is ok. Restart the pc check for updates again. It will install 49 updates (290 meg) and will ask to restart. Do that. Check for updates again and this time select all additional updates to,(640 meg, but that is the servec pack 1 includet). WiFi and screen still not fixed at this point. I decided to see this thru and update for the last time and wola 180 meg later the computer is better than it ever was. I suggest to set a backup at this point so if you need to reinstall you can skip all the downloads. Hope my struggle helped someone.