Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking into having a custom PC built

• Please log in to reply

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I am looking into building having a custom built gaming PC here are the parts I am considering.

Intel Core i7 i7-3820 3.60 GHz Processor - Socket R LGA-2011

Seagate Barracuda 3TB

32GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Liquid Cooling System preferably with filters to keep dust and other contaminates out.

A possible case
Posted Image

I am somewhat undecided on a Graphics Card, Soundcard and Motherboard. I just need something reasonably priced that works for the games I plan to play.

Some of the games I am interested include

World of Tanks
World of Warplanes
World of Warships

Napoleon Total War
Empire Total War

Command and Conquer Red Alert 3

Maybe some of the GTA games so I can try the vehicle and weapon mods.
I might tweak this varying on how much of a budget I end up with. I have heard good stuff about the Intel i7 as well as SeaGate Barracuda HDs, I plan on doing both gaming and video editing on the same PC so I need as much space as I can get.

I am hoping to try to keep my budget under 1500. Is that possible? Thanks in advanced for any advice.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday RebelGamer137,

Happy to give you some configurations.

Just some information first.

A top gaming rig need have no better CPU than a i5 3570 (k) if you want to do some serious over-clocking. You could also use the build for moderate video/; photo but would not perform any where near as good as the rig below.
RAM. 8GB.
Mobo, Asrock Pro4.
120GB SSD.
1TB HDD, storage.
GPU, starting, GT 650ti/HD 7850 and up.
Monitor, gaming. from $150

A video/photo editing rig. depending how heavy the work load is to be and the software. but a good start point.
CPU i7 3770K.
Mobo, Asrock Exreme4.
RAM 16/64GB.
OS drive, recommend a spinner but could be a SSD.
Up to 5 additional internal and one external HDD. (dependent on software used)
GPU. again dependent on software, if Adobe, starting with a GTX 570.
Monitor, Workstation for photo, $300

So, what type of rig do you think you want?
What video/photo software would you be using?
What type of case do you prefer, flashy with lights? conservative, plain?
In what country will you be purchasing your parts.
Have you any hardware you can port to the new build.
Have you got a Retail OS, not OEM.

Liquid cooling needs serious consideration, often noisier than air and not a significant difference in cooling performance. If you use an after market cooler on a retail boxed CPU that includes a heat sink, you will void your warranty.
If you do decide to go that root then I suggest a closed/sealed system.

You would not need a sound card. How far your budget would go would depend on the type of system you want to build.

We await your response.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I already have a monitor I can use from my old desktop. My old desktop died just four months after I got the monitor. (The Motherboard started to die and I got my HP Laptop). I am likely going to skip getting an SSD to lower costs. PC Gamer and Maximum PC both seemed to speak highly of the SeaGate Barracuda and Corsair Vengeance memory. I honestly doubt I would overclock my CPU at all and since that i7 process is a newer (I am assuming here) model would it not be better? I am trying to stay under 1500 if I can help it. My budget might change later but I would like to keep it under 1500. For an HD, I know that bigger is better and for RAM more is always better. I mentioned the games I am interested in in tally. For the most part for PC gaming, I am an RTS and grand strategy guy. Since my PC is duel purpose, I would need a bit of balance of the stuff you recommended and looking at any other opinions posted?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the reply.

since that i7 process is a newer (I am assuming here) model would it not be better?

The i7 is the same family as the i5 and i3 (Ivy Bridge) released at the same time, built on the same architecture, differ in how many cores, speed etc. For this build, the sweet spot for performance/price is the i5 3570K. Using a i7 would be both wasteful of resources and money, $$$ should be put into the Video card.

Again, the sweet spot for the OS drive is a lTB 7200 RPM HDD. Barracuda, Same for the DATA drive. Much better to add more drives should you need them. Safer to have your DATA spread over many drives as against one large drive.

RAM. Will specify 16GB but most of it will just sit there and never be used. I think 8GB is perfect, you could always add more later if your really, really needed them..
Performance in every day use between the major brand is indistinguishable, it only really shows in benchmarking of custom over-clocking.

NB. Prices may incur State taxes depending on where you live. Let us know what you think.
Build. > http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wPLU
Add, Internal system speaker like this, > http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html
Add anti stiatic wrist strap, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16899261005

If you can get to one of their stores, pick up only.
http://www.microcent..._1155_Processor $160.
http://www.microcent..._1155_Processor $229

Alternative cases, > http://www.newegg.co...7^11-129-097-TS

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
The other reason I am going with a higher end processor if future proofing my machine so it will stay relevant longer. I would just rather have one big hard drive. The SeaGate one I am looking at is 164.99 at Staples. As for the cooling system, I have always wanted a liquid cooling system for my computer. One with filters would help matters due to the fact I live with a smoker. I also plan on keeping an air purifier near my PC. I am not interested in 3D capabilities for my computer.

pingauto

pingauto

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Just built my own yesterday, after a long debate with myself, I went for Geforce GTX660Ti instead Radeon 7870. for the gig you picked out, you may want use an SSD as your primary HDD especially you gaming a lot.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
I will update the parts list as we sort out the system and I get feedback from you.

Changed the CPU.
changed the HDD, this will give you less overall performance as you will be writing and reading to the same source, and if you have corruption/problems/breakdown on a single drive, you would probable loose everything.

As for the cooling system, I have always wanted a liquid cooling system for my computer. One with filters would help matters due to the fact I live with a smoker.

OK, but leave the final choice till later as this will take some research. The more up to date coolers are sealed loop systems requiring no maintenance on the liquid side by the user, (no filter cleaning, topping up etc.) but the fan and radiator need cleaning the same as air cooler. Filtering of the air is taken care of by the case intake openings, this is why a case with washable filters is essential.
Extreme care must be taken with case compatability for the placement of the radiator. This review is a good place to start research. > http://www.tomshardw...cking,3084.html

I am not interested in 3D capabilities for my computer.

3D capable is an option on video cards the same as 5.1 surround sound, both not used by most people as they require extra hardware like, 5 plus speaker + mounting hardware or a monitor with 120Hz refresh rate + visual aids.

Revised build #1 > http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wW9j

Please let us know what you think of the parts, What you are happy with? what you might change? You also need to answer the rest of the questions from Post #2 to help us tailor your build.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I really want that giant HD. I just think bigger is better. SSDs are just too small and too expensive to justify paying that much for them and getting that little space. I am thinking about the amount of space on the HD above all else for my HD. I remember the SeaGate Barracuda being recommend in a magazine as a great HD. I am looking for that magazine in my house but I can't find it atm. I was going to look at the recommended graphics cards.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The SSD would be for the OS only and use the bigger HD for your data. Remember the faster the OS runs the more smoother everything will follow. Get a smaller SSD for the OS say a 80 gig and then the 1tb drive to store all your data and install games and programs to it.
8 gigs of memory has been what I have ran for the past 2 years with no problem playing games like the new COD, FarCry3 and Modern Warfare 3 with no lag issues.
I run a AMD cpu but the Intel cpu's are just as capable. My GPU is a ATI Radeon 5670.
Remember the SSD is for nothing more then the OS so you don't need a lot of room especially since you only run a single OS. I have a 500 gig SATA drive but run 3 different OS's on it. That means I'm running each OS on just about 150 gigs each.

pingauto

pingauto

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
dont get me wrong, the hard drive you chose is great for data storage; however for better performance on your system loading and game loading, you may notice the significant difference that SSD gives. The SSD is not for data storage; it only helps you loading games, softwares and OS a lot faster, so it doesn't means "the bigger is better". You can always pick a huge HDD as a secondary drive for all your data storage, like what you have chosen now.

Advertisements

pingauto

pingauto

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
for the games your gonna play, you may need 2 or more monitors to max the effects. just make sure the graphic card you have will support 2 or more monitors. :thumbsup:

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
That sounds a bit to pricy. I am trying to stay under 1500 if I can help it. Thats also the reason I am likely going to use just one big HD to stay in a reasonable budget.

Edited by RebelGamer137, 11 January 2013 - 04:01 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday RebelGamer137.
Please let us know your thoughts on this build, do you want to make alterations? Any questions about the parts selected?
> Revised build #1 > http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wW9j

pingauto

pingauto

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
you dont have to get 2 monitors now, just make sure the graphic cards would support 2 monitors, which most of the high end cards will do, and just hook up another monitor in the future.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
My thinking is having the OS on a SSD would make it faster first and if there is a problem only the OS would be affected.
I myself have 3 hd's in my system and the OS's are all on one drive.