Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking into having a custom PC built

• Please log in to reply

pingauto

pingauto

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

My thinking is having the OS on a SSD would make it faster first and if there is a problem only the OS would be affected.
I myself have 3 hd's in my system and the OS's are all on one drive.

agreed! still cant understand why a piece of SSD would be so pricy.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
They have come down in price but I agree they are still pricey. I need at least a 500 gig one but I can't afford the almost dollar a gig right now for one.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Another thing, I am likely going to go with Windows 7, mostly due to the fact I don't like the Windows 8 interface. I don't want to use a tablet OS on my desktop PC.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
When choosing your version of Window, please be aware of the physical limits of RAM supported.

64bit versions, Home Basic, 8GB, home premium, 16GB of physical RAM supported.
64bit versions, professional and above, 192GB of physical RAM supported.

Edited by iammykyl, 14 January 2013 - 04:47 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A 32 bit OS will only use up to 3.7 gigs of memory so if you want to use more then that you will need a 64 bit version of Win7. I am using Win7 Pro 64 bit and 8 gigs of memory.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I was going to get the 64 Bit Professional version of Windows 7. Like I said, I don't like the user interface for Windows 8. Its too different from what I am used to. I just have a feeling Windows 7 will be the next Windows XP because Windows 8 is like Vista but worse. I know I am part of a very vocal portion of Windows users who don't like the changes to Windows 8. I just hope this is not a sign of things to come for Microsoft.

As for more parts I was looking at

Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan

As for the video cards I was looking at the AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card or the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I would dump the liquid cooling and just add an extra fan or two. It will really save on the $$$.

If you are going the Nvidia route for gaming, I would go for the 6xx series, since it is much newer than the 5xx series. I have a 550 Ti card which is nice, but I would gladly shoot for an upgrade. Also consider that you may not want a 2GB video card. 2 video cards at 1GB is better than 1 video card at 2 GB. You could always add a second video card later on with another monitor, and use SLI/Crossfire modes. Just an idea.

Along with others, I think an SSD for the OS and a 1TB/2TB HDD is a great idea. I built this system back in August and did that. If the HDD crashes, I can still boot windows. I used a carbonite subscription to backup all my data on the HDD as opposed to adding more hard drives. I would rather someone else with unlimited space be my backup.

I think you should easily be able to make your budget, even with Monitor & Speakers, if you need them. I really like the new IPS LCD monitor, I just purchased!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
There are easily mistaken interpretations about the configuration of video cards in SLI/Crossfire set ups. This is my very, very simple explanation of some of the aspects but Google would be a better friend.

One video card (2 GB VRAM) placed in the first, (fastest slot) connected to the monitor/s.
Second card (1Gb Vram) in the next slot, cards joined with a bridge, First card becomes the Master still connected to the monitor/s (through the 2GB capacity of memory) The second cards 1GB of memory is not added to the 2GB. If you reverse the order of the cards, you end up with 1GB capacity of memory feeding the monitor/s..
You can mix different brands of AMD or Nvidia cards but must be in the same family, slightly different rules for each manufacturer, and CrossfireX different again and many more rules for other components of a video card.

Unless a dedicated gamer, I think it is better to go for the best card you can afford. With duel, triple configuration, you usually need a larger capacity PSU, much better case cooling as you generate heaps more heat, often very noisy, costs more money. I would rather have the latest $400 card than 2 $200 cards. CrossfireX is the exception as the card required is often cheap and an original good PSU may not have to be upgraded.

I was going to get the 64 Bit Professional version of Windows 7

Good choice. I am sticking with 7 as well, for the moment.

I was looking at the AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card or the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB 16X PCIe

The HD 6950 is a disontuinued card, good performance, pricey even second hand. Cards to consider, http://www.newegg.co...2^14-130-812-TS
http://www.superbiiz...EV-G570_2G&c=CJ

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Would using an Intel Processor and AMD Graphics Card in the same machine cause any problems? I am considering all options here.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Should not be a issue as far as I have seen.

Advertisements

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
You should be okay with that. The parts were designed to be interchangeable and to be mixed, since all this existed well before AMD bought ATI. I personally run an AMD based system and always buy Nvidia graphics cards. It is just what I like, and everything always works fine.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
So that we may all see your proposed build and you can keep an eye on the budget, suggest you register on CPP, be sure to select your country, top right, copy and paste the Permalink in your post.
> http://pcpartpicker....parts/partlist/