Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Corrupted graphics

• Please log in to reply

ohhbob

ohhbob

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
We have a Syx refurbished machine - XPPro - SP3, core i3-2120 processor, 8Gb DDR3 ram & Asus P8H61M-LX2 motherboard with 1Gb on-board Nvidia Vanta graphics. We disabled the Vanta graphics when we added a 2Gb Radeon Force3d 6450 graphics card.

All was fine until we had problems getting a high end game to run (very graphics intensive Rise of Flight). We gave up on the game, and uninstalled, but now the graphics are messed up - ie, everything runs slower and is pixelated. Now, no other games run ( MS Flight Simulator, etc.) and give an error "Hardware acceleration needs to be enabled." Dxdiag shows everything is fine, but the enable DirectDraw hardware acceleration buttons are grayed out.

I tried the troubleshoot tab in graphics properties, and played with the slider bar for full or no acceleration, tried unchecking the enable write combining box, and I tried reinstalling the graphics drivers, a system restore, and even the OS repair option , but nothing worked.

I thought of pulling the graphics card, enabling the on-board Vanta driver and starting over, but now that has disappeared from the device manager list. I reinstalled the chipset drivers, but it's still not listed there. Did the motherboard graphics get fried somehow? Is turning on the hardware acceleration in some other setting somewhere?? What else can I do?

Thanks in advance...

Ohhbob

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
If you want to use your Internal Graphic (iGPU) go into the Bios under the tab ADVANCED then choose SYSTEM AGENT CONFIGURATION and INITIATE GRAPHIC ADAPTER this will set your internal graphic adapter as the main boot.

Some motherboard will by default use your PCI-E card if you have one installed, so just in case if i was you i would remove my Radeon card if I want to use my Internal graphic Adapter.

As for the corrupted graphics try if possible your Radeon in another system to see if it does the same thing.

ohhbob

ohhbob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Alzeimer, thanks for the reply. I reset the Bios settings to iGPU, but now if the monitor is connected to the on-board connector, there is no signal. If it's connected to the graphics card, it goes to a blue screen 0x0000007b reboot loop. And going back to the original PEG bios setting gives me the blue screen reboot. Would turning on the iGPU multi monitor setting work?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Did you remove your Radeon card when you tried to use your internal graphic adapter.

The way I read your BIOS settings is you have 3 options
1- iGPU only (enable internal graphic only meaning no other card like a PCI-E card installed on your system)
2- PEG/iGPU (both internal graphic and pci-express graphic card enable and the PCI-E card as the default)
3- PEG/iGPU + the mutli display enable if you have monitors connected to both the PCI-E card and the Internal Graphic adapters

ohhbob

ohhbob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Alziemer...thanks for all your suggestions.
It's been slow going as I haven't had time, but I forgot that when I reset the bios, it also reset to a SATA drive controller, so that caused the blue screen errors. I changed to an IDE controller, and got the system back. I finally realized the original problem was the Radeon card all along. Swapped it out with a lessor card and fixed the acceleration problem, but now need to try a new card to get the original game to work. :thumbsup:

Thanks again...
Ohhbob

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Hello ohhbob

While Alzeimer is offline can I ask if you are looking for assistance with purchasing a new video card.