Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank taskbar popup

• Please log in to reply

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
try uninstalling first the Kazaa, observe. Did you mean that the problem persist was the blank taskbar, or is it another problem? After you reinstalled your OS, did you mean you restore back from the system restore?

Advertisements

The Black Stallion

The Black Stallion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The blank taskbar is the problem, in fact, I would be cool with it if it didn't impede on game playing (It causes games to revert back to the desktop)

I made a system restore point before installing Java (Which is what I thought caused it) and it STILL happened AFTER I went back to that point.

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Kazaa is an infected P2P program, while your peerguardian is a program used to protect and blocked unwanted IP Address from P2P networks. READ HERE. It could possibly be that a program from either Kazaa (P2P infected Network) and SoulSeek (clean P2P) wants to launch ADS as your background, however due to the protections of your peerguardian it seems that it is blocking it. After the uninstall of Kazaa, try changing your background, tweak your peerguardian settings for block list.

The Black Stallion

The Black Stallion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I belive this is the problem was caused by something called hptskmgr. I managed to catch a screen grab of the proscesses window with it running, but I didn't save it for some reason...

Anyway, in the screen grab, I had a comparison between when the popup occured, and when there was no popup, and yes, a proscess showed up.

The proscess was hptskmgr.

Luckly, a quick google search showed that it can be hijacked, and it does start a program with no window. So, I uninstalled HP Update, and I deleted that file. Hopeuflly that solves the problem, if anything else occurs, I will be sure to let you guys know.

Thanks, hopefully this is the last of it.

And I'll do my best to keep KLite uninstalled...

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
that very good, :tazz:

If anything you need help, just drop by and we are happy to help you. ;)