Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing File

• Please log in to reply

coloradolady

coloradolady

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am missing windows\system32\msiexe.exe NTVDM files. When I put my Windows disk into my external CDROM drive, I get a message stating that it contains an older version of Windows than the one I am running. How and Where do I get these missing files? The files are used when downloading Quick Time and iTunes and I'm sure probably other programs but these two are the ones I am trying to download at the moment. Thank you for any help anyone can provide me.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Open a Command Prompt.
type dir \msiexe.exe /s and press Enter.
That will show you if there are copies in other location which there should be. Copy the one with the latest date/time stamp to C:\windows\system32. That should fix it.

On the CD, it will be \I386\MSIEXEC.EX_, stored in compressed format.

See here: How to extract a system file from the Windows XP CD-ROM?