Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

fully functional boot disk

• Please log in to reply

Espoo

Espoo

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I thought that a Windows 98SE boot disk starts a minimal form of Windows. Is there some trick that prevents getting an error message saying that programs (e.g. AVG, Uneraser) can't be run or installed in DOS?

And how can one direct a Windows 98SE reinstall to a new partition (D) on the same physical drive ( C )?

The reason I'm thinking of not reinstalling Windows on C is because i'm not sure what other files besides the Windows folder may have been deleted by the malware. There is a second partition on the same physical drive. Is it safe to reinstall Windows on that or may that destroy any files there? When i started the install process, i was told that this will remove the existing config.sys and autoexec.bat files, which seems to indicate that Windows will be reinstalled on C and that i may not be asked for a different location.

Thanks

Edited by Espoo, 06 June 2005 - 07:43 AM.

Advertisements

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Your D partition must be a primary partition in order to install another copy of Windows. Windows does not allow a logical partition to be bootable. There are utilities available that allow you to change partition types and sizes without data loss, Partition Magic and Partition Commander are two examples.

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
By the way, have you tried to repair your present Windows installation ?
Some details here.

Espoo

Espoo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for your replies. I unfortunately forgot about them because i never got an email notification despite having the necessary setting in My Controls. I did try ScanReg, but it was of course senseless because the whole Windows folder was gone. I had to reinstall Windows on C, and it seems no other files were lost.