Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with small network and remote access

• Please log in to reply

Azza09

Azza09

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

Not sure this is the right forum for the questions below.

Is it possible for me to utilise my desktop at home to access remotely with my own laptop and work on it using the programs on the desktop regardless of whether they are on the laptop or not?

Can i attatch a big NAS drive to my desktop and place files on it so that it can be accessed from any of my guys to acess and save documents and files. If so can this be password protected and limit what files they see? also can more than one access it at a time?

Long story short, i am a new start up business and cannot afford to spend loads of money on IT. If all goes well i will be in the market for a full server, mail server etc at the new office next year but for now i just need to share info, work remotely and all on a shoestring budget.

Any and all help much appreciated.

Regard Richard

Advertisements

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Hi,

Not sure this is the right forum for the questions below.

Is it possible for me to utilise my desktop at home to access remotely with my own laptop and work on it using the programs on the desktop regardless of whether they are on the laptop or not?

Can i attatch a big NAS drive to my desktop and place files on it so that it can be accessed from any of my guys to acess and save documents and files. If so can this be password protected and limit what files they see? also can more than one access it at a time?

Long story short, i am a new start up business and cannot afford to spend loads of money on IT. If all goes well i will be in the market for a full server, mail server etc at the new office next year but for now i just need to share info, work remotely and all on a shoestring budget.

Any and all help much appreciated.

Regard Richard

The easy way to remote in would be to use LogMeIn or some similar service. LogMeIn Pro is $70/year, and well worth it, since you can essentially get into your computer from any web browser.

Instead of an NAS device that will probably upset you and make your life harder than it needs to be for file sharing, a Cloud service might better serve you. Box.com, Google Drive, the Microsoft solution with access to MS Office, etc. I think one of those may be better, since you won't be responsible for hosting all that data and setting up a NAS device on your network that you can access from anywhere.