Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clone C from SSD to SSD EaseUS Todo

• Please log in to reply

FUState

FUState

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Hey people.
My C: drive is now so full that I cannot even install updates.
I have read through the internet (finished it on this topic) about ways to reduce the amount of space used on C:

I came across a little topic (external link) that shows me how to clone my drive (which I plan to do onto a larger SSD than the existing using an external enclosure.)

I recall in a semi-relatedtopic on this site where I was asking about this and it was suggested that this does not work because of this.

I would really appreciate a heads up on if my EaseUS Todo backup plan will fail so that I may prevent wasting too much time.

I am trying to extend the use of my current configuration until spring when I will afford the time to do an actual upgrade.

In the meantime any experience or useful alternatives to adding more space to the System drive would be welcome (please do not suggest freeing space (I have exhausted this option completely.))

Thanks for reading, hope you are enjoying 2013 so far!

Advertisements

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I don't see why it wouldn't work. You could run AS SSD Benchmark to make sure your current SSD is aligned, and make sure the new one you buy is aligned as well. It tells you in the top left corner if it is aligned. Then essentially clone over to the new SSD. If it does an exact clone, it may clone over the same partition size which you would then have to adjust in the Windows Disk Management option to the full size of the larger SSD. If the program can be dynamic, you might be able to adjust this before executing the clone or as an option along the way. I have never used EaseUS Todo, I always have used Apricorn EZ GIG software for cloning. As long as your current SSD has an original Windows Install on it, and not an upgrade, I would feel safe doing this as I haven't had issues with doing it before from both HDD to HDD, and HDD to SSD. I haven't done SSD to SSD yet, since my current desktop has a 128GB SSD for Windows only, and I just built it in August 2012. I am sure I will have to do this at some point as well.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Interesting post, I have a renewed optimism now... thanks!
I just read another blog after trying to find as ssd... and this article seems to suggest that it's no big deal either way.
I will give it a shot soon, and probably just check my alignment with disk part... or according to this perhaps run an alignment on my new larger SSD prior to cloning.
Thanks again for the heads up on this... I definitely learned something today :)

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
It worked great!!!

I cloned using Ease Clone (boot disc)
Downloaded from CNET, a previously trusted site (ended up with Wajam sneakily installing as well; not using CNET anymore.)

Swapped old drive with newly cloned.

Extended volume in disc manager.

Now I have 211 GB free instead of 0 bytes!

It took less than 2 hours of my time :)

Thanks so much!!!

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Glad it worked for you! I didn't think you would have a major issue with it, but its nice to get confirmation! Enjoy!