Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop VERY slow when starting up and shutting down [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

She has been using Word & Excel since the day I brought the laptop home for her. She has never received/brought key from anywhere and this was not a 60 day trial as she has been using it since day one up to the day before I started this thread. There must be a key somewhere, and I have asked her to pull the paperwork for the laptop out to see if we can find it. Just thought as it was pre-installed that the code underneath the laptop should be used.

The product key affixed to your computer is for Windows Vista (the operating system) and not for Microsoft Office. Please have her see if she can find the paperwork and let me know. I'll look into this further for you.

Web of Trust has also been downloaded and also looks a good add on, but I have not created an account yet. I'm wondering if it's worthwhile? One thing I noticed though, as I wasn't sure I had downloaded it correctly, I went to remove it to re-install and it said I had to be an administrator to do so? That worries me as that now looks like that is stuck on the laptop whether we want it or not? Is that the case?

From the first OTL after Factory Restore found here:

Computer Name: NADINEC-PC | User Name: NadineC | Logged in as Administrator.

NadineC's user account does have administrator privileges. You shouldn't have any trouble uninstalling WOT. It will have to be uninstalled through the browser(s) since it installs as a Browser Helper Object (BHO). How did you try to uninstall it? Double check to see if her account does have Administrator listed by going to Start > Control Panel > User Accounts. You should see a Guest account as well as the NadineC account displayed. Let me know what you find.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi CameronB,

Let's see if we can find that product key for Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007. You could either download The Magical Jelly Bean as I had previously suggested in post or you could also download Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit (Version 8.3). I prefer the latter, but you can try both if you like.

If all that is found is the OEM product key, you might be able to contact the vendor from which you purchased the laptop and see if they can help in any way.

Microsoft Support offers a bit of help too, for replacement of a lost or damaged Microsoft Office 2007 or 2003 product key if Office came pre-installed on your computer when you bought it, though I fear you might have to pay for the replacement.

You might even try contacting the manufacturer of the computer to see if they can help. Following is a link that might help:

Click here for a list of computer manufacturer telephone numbers.

Please keep me informed.....

Donna :)

CameronB

CameronB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi Donna,

Please have her see if she can find the paperwork and let me know. I'll look into this further for you.
We found a code that was different from code on laptop and was accepted but all that it started to download was the trial version, so I stopped the install. I will point out that my g/f had written OEM Key next to this code. She has also written '8 character referal code is on white sticker on outside of packaging' Not sure if that means anything.

I have run Belarc Advisor and it is showing alot of information...alot of it going straight over my head ! lol Now not sure what to do as this is not telling me alot (due to not knowing what it all is). Please help :) Is there anything in particular I should be looking for?

NadineC's user account does have administrator privileges. You shouldn't have any trouble uninstalling WOT. t will have to be uninstalled through the browser(s) since it installs as a Browser Helper Object (BHO). How did you try to uninstall it?
I tried to un-install it thru control panel. It seems to be working OK anyway and I have now created an account for my girlfriend for if at anytime she want's it removed.

Thanks

Edited by CameronB, 24 February 2013 - 01:05 PM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

We found a code that was different from code on laptop and was accepted but all that it started to download was the trial version, so I stopped the install.

Where did you find the "different" code? Personally, I would type the number in that you found and allow the install to complete and see what happens since it was accepted.

She has also written '8 character referal code is on white sticker on outside of packaging'

What do you mean by "outside of packaging"? What packaging?

On the Belarc Advisory report that opens up in a tab of your browser, look for the following about 1/3 of the way down the center of the page:

Manage all your software licenses...
click for Belarc's System Management products

All the software that is installed on the laptop that requires a license (product key) to activate will be listed there. Under the middle column you will see Software Licenses. For any of the Microsoft software that is installed you will see the OEM license first and then (Key:25-digit alpha-numerics) If the 25-digit alpha-numeric is not there then we are at a lose unless it was written down somewhere and saved in another place.

CameronB

CameronB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi Donna,

The different code we had was written down on a piece of paper in all of the laptops paperwork that my g/f had kept.
This was the code I entered, was accepted and the trial was being installed. I will do that again and get back to you with what happens.
The packaging I mentioned we can only assume is the HP 'welcome pack' type box that came with the laptop. There is an 8 digit code with "M####### Ver. 09" on a white sticker, it is the only 8 character code on the box.

I cannot see Office in the Belarc Advisory report but then again I havn't actually installed it yet have I? So maybe I should run it again after installing the trial?

Thanks

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Cameron,

we can only assume is the HP 'welcome pack' type box that came with the laptop. There is an 8 digit code with "M####### Ver. 09" on a white sticker, it is the only 8 character code on the box.

Ah....Thank you. Now I understand. Remembering back about 5 years to when I pulled my Vista Home Premium out of the box, I believe there was little "welcome kit" that came in a box with a stock/part number on a sticker.

I cannot see Office in the Belarc Advisory report but then again I havn't actually installed it yet have I? So maybe I should run it again after installing the trial?

Yes. Please do that and let me know how it goes.

CameronB

CameronB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi Donna,

I have installed Office & ran Belarc Advisor and I can now see Microsoft - Office Home and Student 2007 Trial with a key number next to it.
After a discussion with my g/f she seemed to think that we were given a 'way round' the trial period by a pc wise friend of ours, hence the reason she had run Office for so long. Which will explain my confusion regards the whole trial thing.

Thanks

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi CameronB,

That's good news! Not sure what kind of a "way around" to the trial version that your PC wise friend provided for you. Some are illegal. Some past Microsoft Office products, you were able to use the product key on up to 3 computers. I'm not sure it's like that anymore unless you purchase a multiple use product key. I notice that the software did update when installed previously so it might have been legit. In the long run, if you have issues, I'd definitely purchase a legal product key to prevent any issues in the end.

Have you uninstalled OTL as I requested in post #74? If not, please do the following:

The following will implement some cleanup procedures:

• Right click on the icon and choose Run as administrator.
  • Click on the Cleanup button.
That will remove all the programs we used including OTL itself.

If you have followed those instructions to remove OTL then you're good to go! Please read the links concerning safe surfing I provided in Post #74.

It was a pleasure helping you!

Happy surfing!

CameronB

CameronB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Donna,

OTL has been uninstalled.

Thank you very much for all your help. My g/f says it's like having a new laptop. Which is great as that saves me £££ :)

Hopefully you have got something out of it aswell and it has been of some use for your training.

All the best

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
You are welcome, Cameron! :)

I am so glad to hear that your g/f is happy with the results. It was my pleasure to help you and very educational to say the least!

If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask. Any one of our dedicated members would be more than happy to guide you on your quest for knowledge.

Have a great day!

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.