Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor, Keyboard & Mouse - Not Working!

• Please log in to reply

TXFTW

TXFTW

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello guys, so let me take you back to begin September, 2012. I was watching a movie through a trusted website; and after I was done with it, I decided to watch a new one. However, when I pressed "Play", something else happened. My computer froze (this has nothing to do with the website, by the way) and it started to make a really loud noise. I waited for a few seconds before turning off my computer via the power button. So when I decided to turn my computer back on, I clicked on the button and waited for the Windows welcome screen to come.. however, the screen just stayed black. My monitor seems to be just fine, as the power button just indicates it's on. I tried to see if my keyboard still worked, so I turned on Caps Lock but nothing happened. After looking for a solution through Google, I gave up, because there was nothing I could find that would help me. So I decided to open up my computer case, because I figured out it might be my graphics card that is the problem. But I'm hesitating now, after some people are convinced it's the motherboard that's not working. I don't really know what it is, to be honest. I've got $133 to buy a new graphics card, but I don't want to waste my money on the wrong thing. Could you guys please help me out? Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Check the fans. Those are usually the first things to make really loud noises when they go bad or have some issue with dust/dirt etc. If the CPU fan is not coming up to speed, most computers will not start to avoid burning up the processor. a PSU tester would help out, to make sure the power supply is still good. I would suspect a fan before something else. If it is a critical cooling fan like CPU, GPU, etc this could have explained your problem, as most systems will shut off if they get to hot to avoid killing the major components.

TXFTW

TXFTW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Check the fans. Those are usually the first things to make really loud noises when they go bad or have some issue with dust/dirt etc. If the CPU fan is not coming up to speed, most computers will not start to avoid burning up the processor. a PSU tester would help out, to make sure the power supply is still good. I would suspect a fan before something else. If it is a critical cooling fan like CPU, GPU, etc this could have explained your problem, as most systems will shut off if they get to hot to avoid killing the major components.

Thank you for replying, but my computer doesn't make loud noises anymore after the very first time. It makes the usual sound like it always does. It only made those loud noises when my screen literally froze. All I need is to be sure of the problem, because if it's the graphics card, I'll buy a new one as soon as possible. I have the money, but I have to be certain. I already unplugged everything, and screwed open both of the side cases.

Edited by TXFTW, 12 January 2013 - 10:20 AM.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
It could be the graphics card. But when graphics cards overheat, they usually start artifacting, and pixelating, and when they cool down, they are usually fine again. I have yet to see one actually burn up, even though I am sure it is possible. Does its fan still work, when the system is on? I think something else is going on in your system, and there are lots of other things to check before starting to buy parts. It could be the PSU or any number of other things. I would get a PSU tester first and start there before going elsewhere. Does your Mobo have onboard video that you could try out to troubleshoot if that is the problem? It could be your cable, your monitor, your Mobo or some component on it. Need to try and troubleshoot what works and what doesn't before plunking down money on something that isn't the problem.

Edited by fyrfyter33, 12 January 2013 - 11:10 AM.

TXFTW

TXFTW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

It could be the graphics card. But when graphics cards overheat, they usually start artifacting, and pixelating, and when they cool down, they are usually fine again. I have yet to see one actually burn up, even though I am sure it is possible. Does its fan still work, when the system is on? I think something else is going on in your system, and there are lots of other things to check before starting to buy parts. It could be the PSU or any number of other things. I would get a PSU tester first and start there before going elsewhere. Does your Mobo have onboard video that you could try out to troubleshoot if that is the problem? It could be your cable, your monitor, your Mobo or some component on it. Need to try and troubleshoot what works and what doesn't before plunking down money on something that isn't the problem.

Yeah exactly, I've read that as well. After a month (so in October) I tried starting up the computer again to see if the screen would work this time but it didn't. I have to say that the cable I had plugged into my monitor would often stop working if I didn't move it correctly. The screen would stay black until I precisely moved it. Since I tried moving it for dozens of times it didn't work, while it "normally" would.. that's why I think it's a graphics card problem. I am certain my graphics card didn't burn up because it looks just fine to me. And yes, the fans are just working correctly. Also, there's this button on my Samsung LCD monitor, and when I press on it, a little white box shows up in the left corner with 5 blue dots which reads "TEST GOOD".
I'm sorry, but what is a PSU tester? I have some knowledge about OS problems but when it comes to external problems (so within the computer itself) I am basically ignorant. That being said, I have no idea what a Mobo is, and how I can use it of course. And yeah haha, that's exactly why I started a new topic. I wrote "Keyboard & Mouse" in the title because I thought it didn't work. Maybe it did work and I forgot about it. After all, I had unplugged everything. I will plug in everything tonight again so I can see if the keyboard works, by clicking on Caps Lock to see if the green light gets on.

Edited by TXFTW, 12 January 2013 - 11:58 AM.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
A power supply tester tests the leads that give power to the computer. Have you tried replacing the monitor cable yet? If you have to move it just right to see an image, that is where I would first start. Regardless of the type of cable, they are relatively cheap, and if you had to move it around in the past to see an image, chances are it has a short somewhere in the cable.

TXFTW

TXFTW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, but moving it doesn't matter now. I've tried it a lot of times so I'm going to buy a new cable first. I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks for your help, dude!