Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer has no power other than mouse light

• Please log in to reply

Catface

Catface

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I was coding some video and left for awhile and came back to my pc's front led flashing and no image on the monitor, so I forced a shutdown as there was no response to anything on the computer and it will not turn on. I think something overheated cause I accidentally had the case fans on low but when I plug my mouse into the USB the light on it turns on so is it the power supply or could it be something else (I've checked power cords, outputs and cleaned the entire pc) when I hit the start button nothing even tries to turn on.
Help?

Edited by Catface, 11 January 2013 - 06:40 PM.

Advertisements

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
This could be a lot of things. Bad switch, Mobo Failure, bad Power Supply, etc. Any number of things could have happened. I would start with the PSU. Check all the connections to all drives, boards, etc. Does anything feel abnormally warm/hot? are any of the fans not spinning? If you hold the power button for 5 seconds, does it turn completely off, and then can you press the power button to start it again? I don't suppose you have a PSU tester?

Edited by fyrfyter33, 11 January 2013 - 06:54 PM.

Catface

Catface

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well the computer doesn't turn on so I can't tell if anything is not working properly the only thing that does go on is the mouse light when I plug it in. Other than that its all dark which makes me suspect psu failure but i want to be sure before I go out and buy one.

Edited by Catface, 11 January 2013 - 07:02 PM.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Before you buy a new PSU, buy a PSU tester. What electronics store is near you? They look like this: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16899261023 and its cheaper than buying a new PSU straight up and finding out that is not your problem.

Catface

Catface

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'll check it out thanks