Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen with active cursor when I turn my computer on

• Please log in to reply

beejee

beejee

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi. I am so sorry for my ignorance. I have searched your forum for self help but I seem to be helpless. I have an HP laptop with Vista OS. I have a tendency to leave my laptop in sleep mode. I rarely turn it off. Now I only get a black screen with a moveable cursor. Things I have tried: The computer searched for problems to repair because it failed to start. It asked to restore, which I selected. Then it worked fine. The next day, the same thing only this time the restore did not work it just went to the black screen again with a movable cursor. I can bring my desktop up in safe-mode. I tried finding APIC and ACPI to make sure they were enabled but was unable to find them in BIOS (I couldn't find any advance options). Obviously, I don't know what I am doing. I have run SPYBOT and did not have any problems there. I do not have any other malware antivirus software, but I have WinPatrol which for some reason was not active. I tried to download AVG but it would not download in safe mode. Sigh, I need some expert help. I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Advertisements

beejee

beejee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I downloaded SUPERAntiSpyware. It found Trojan.Agent/Gen-ZAccess, several tracking cookies, and two files titled
PUP.bProtector. Once removed, now my computer is up and running. Thanks for any inconvenience or time I may have caused. I really appreciate your offered services.