Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Cannot read from source file or disk" when moving music files

• Please log in to reply

WisdomHunter

WisdomHunter

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have recently acquired a Motorola RAZR XT910, my first Android phone. It has 8 GB of available internal storage. I decided to install a 32GB MicroSD card for extra storage.

My problem comes when trying to transfer files from my HP Laptop, running Windows 7 Professional, to my phone - or more specifically to the MicroSD card.

The Android OS allows me to specify that the MicroSD card should be treated by other devices as a USB drive. After a couple of attempts (I had to tell the phone to "mount" and "format" the card), both the phone's internal storage and the MicroSD card show up as drives in Windows 7 Explorer when the phone is attached to the laptop.

So far, so good.

I had hoped to use the MicroSD for music. I am finding that while I can move certain types of files to the microSD(jpg seems to work OK, haven't tried others), if I try to move music files (mp3 or wma, format doesn't matter) I inevitably get an error "Cannot read from source file or disk". I have tried using backed-up versions of the files and I get the same error. I tried moving the same song files to a USB flash drive and had no problem. This is why i posted the issue on an Android forum : I think it must be a an OS issue. Or possibly it's an issue with the microSD card. I had no problem moving the song files to the phone's internal storage.

Ideas? Comments?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I had no problems with music files on my razr. As i recall i just made a music folder on the microSD card and copied and pasted my albums(folders) to the music folder from my desktop computer. I did this using a Sandisk mobilemate micro SD adapter that plugs into a usb port. Installed the SD card in the razr and everything worked.I was using my laptop computer for this sometimes as it has a adapter slot built in. My windows 7 and windows XP desktop computers sometimes don't cooperate with each other, so i have been switching my music from the dedicated XP music computer to the laptop(win 7) with a USB flash drive. Haven't had any problems using this method.

Here's one with buy it now on ebay for $5 + $4 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item51a640f2f3

I may be telling you the wrong folder to make(use?)since i switched phones month's ago. You can look on the USB card(from the phone) on your computer to see where the phone put any music files you may have downloaded off the net. The phone should let you keep all your music on the SD card.

If you still have problem's, i will dig out my XT-912 and experiment with it. I don't think i have sold it yet.

SRX660

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I just checked my razr phone and it does work. Even with the sim card pulled out(it's moved to my nexus i515) the mp3 music files i put on a microsd card were all seen and could be played on the phone. I made a folder on the sd card named music and put 100 songs on the card. I went into the "my music" app and clicked on songs to play them. Played 15 songs with no problems.

A thought i have now is the size of the sd card. Quite a few phones can't see a 32 gig card(my evo4g won't see more than 16 gigs). I would try using a smaller size card on the phone. I used a 16 gig card to try the experiment with. You may have caused your 32 gig card to become a 16 gig card by formatting it.

If your phone does not work, something is defective on the phone. Perhaps your phone service provider may replace the phone with a new one if you have the insurance(i always do).

SRX660

WisdomHunter

WisdomHunter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there. Thanks for the replies. I was able to copy mp3s to the internal storage so I don't think the phone is the problem. I returned the 32GB microSD to Amazon on the assumption that it was defective. I will try again with a different card (Maybe I'll try 16GB). Thanks again for all the input.