Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

way too much download!

• Please log in to reply

angelbear

angelbear

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
this issue has been ongoing for months, even after changing isp providers. we have six people in our household using the internet, with laptops, phones, ipads, game consoles, etc. we use WAY too much data every month. our plan allows 175GB and right now we are 11 days into the cycle and at 80%!!! we have tried telling everyone to watch what they are downloading/streaming, and have looked at each laptop to see if anything is running in the tray. i don't know what else to do......what about spyware? is there a good free monitoring tool that will tell me how much each device is using?
thanks for any help you can give me

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You could change the router password to stop them getting in Angelbear, have a read about it on these many links.

https://www.google.c...lient=firefox-a

angelbear

angelbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
thats great if i want to block everyone completely, but once i give them the new password, the same problem will happen. we are at 120GB downloaded already on the 12th day of the month....not even halfway and our limit is VERY high, at 175GB. this does not seem normal to me!
opinions would be appreciated!!! thanks!

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
The games consoles could be taking up a lot of bandwith and someone may even be download large files from a P2P site.

When someone wants to use a given device tell them to disappear while you log in to your router making sure that Connect Automatically is not ticked.

This way no one knows the password except you.

If you are paying the ISP then you have a right to say who goes on and when or simply divide the cost between them all.