Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I've got a boot up wild card issue

• Please log in to reply

IceBerge

IceBerge

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a CRAZY oddball of a startup problem. I would be very appreciative of anybody who can help me or point me in the right direction.

So, it started with an update for my computer. Everything was routine. It required me to restart my computer, and it did. So, computer restarted, and it got through the first two parts of the update with ease (It's windows XP so it has a little 1/3, 2/3, and 3,3 in the center of the screen.) So on the third section came the problem.

So, the third update section started off normally. It came on the screen and then at 0% it stopped and after sitting on 0% for maybe a full 60 seconds. Then, it reset, my whole computer reset! Then it ran through it's initial bootup system and skipped section 1 and 2. Went right to three like it's suppose to. Then after sitting on 0% for another 60 seconds it resets. Then it continues booting up and getting to 0% and reseting in a terrible, vicious, and life altering cycle.

I really don't want to do a full system reboot, I REALLY don't want to. I have some files that I can't get rid of because they are extremely important.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: IceBerge

Try Last Known Good Configuration;

1.Start your computer.
2.Press the F8 key.
3.When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.