Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Optiplex GX270 that stopped working

• Please log in to reply

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
I have a Dell Optiplex GX270 that stopped working and gave an error message of PnPl. I checked the error log (by installing the hard drive as the 2 nd. Hard drive in another computer) and it had many. I visually inspected all the caps, but none seemed to have a blown top. I have tried to re-format but no go.

I now suspect the CPU has gone bad, but I do not know which CPU to order nor how to get it out, and install a new one as its holding mechanism is different from any I have encountered before. Your help would be greatly appreciated.]

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Hello jsullivan33403

If your CPU was bad the computer would not get as far into the boot process that it is.

What type of errors were reported in the logs that you mention.

Try clearing the CMOS in case you have a bad MB setting, see attachment below;