Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck in something that looks like safe mode

• Please log in to reply

tfresca

tfresca

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok now I have a new problem, the computer restarts in a mode that looks like safe mode but doesn't actually say "safe mode" and doesn't act like safe mode. I have a network connection but it doesn't read my mouse or anything like that. I ran sfc and it didn't detect any problems so all I can think is that it is a virus. I ran regcleaner and asked the comp to reset my hardware configurations, so it went back and reinstalled all my drivers. I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions

Advertisements

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
ARe you sure it only looks like safe mod but you can do all the things like in NORMAL booting .. if so .. i think just a matter of fact that your VGA or grapics driver need to be re installed ..

so chill out and reply that solved or not

tfresca

tfresca

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried doing that, at least I think I did it corectly, and it still didn't work. The mouse drivers started acting screwy too but reinstalling everything seemed to fix that problem. I can go in and select the 256 colors or 16 bit colors and apply it in control planels, which I didn't even have the option of doing when all this started, but the changes don't hold.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

so chill out and reply that solved or not

View Post

No need for a post like that moshin...

Howdy tfresca and welcome to G2G..

If you can get into Device Manager, check to see if there is anything in there with a yellow or red mark beside it.. If so, post back here what it is..

In the meantime, go to This Site and download Everest.. Run it and post the results here..

Odds are you only need the proper drivers for your video card installed and that program will help determine what you are using for a video card..

Murray

tfresca

tfresca

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I pulled the driver for it off the system restore disk, that didn't seem to do anything. I also tried doing a system restore but the comp kept saying the attrib.dat file wasn't present. Will downloading another driver from the company directly really solve the problem? I'm not being skeptical it's just I'm stressed out over this.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Downloading the correct driver should solve the problem.. in 99.9% of the time that's all it needs..

Murray

tfresca

tfresca

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the help. I went to Intel's site downloaded the right driver and that went back to working but then my sound card stopped being recognized. So I went back installed that and it was back and forth between them not working. I finally had to the system.ini files and the win.ini files. That seemed to do the trick but It's not a good fix. I ran trendmicro's free scan and it caught nothing. I'm running Panda as we speak, it's caught two infected files but I don't know what they are. I guess we'll see.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
It may be in your best interests to take a look at This Thread

Follow the instructions and let the guru's in the Malware Form take a look!!

Murray