Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Does not recognise the cd-rom...........

• Please log in to reply

crmmartin1

crmmartin1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an older Compaq 486 computer that has the 3 1/2 and the 5 1/4 floppy drives. I am trying to install a cd-rom drive, and after I installed it, I click on My Computer folder to see if it is in there , it doesn't have the cd-rom icon, but it shows another C drive type of icon that says that it is drive D. Even after I installed the cd-rom driver it still shows that. When I click on that icon it has a folder that doesn't have a thing in it. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Hi, firstly have you tried a CD in the drive to see if it works ?
Also is the CD recognised in the BIOS ? (When you first switch on, a text screen comes up listing all the drives available before Windows starts. If this screen flashes by too quickly for you to see it try holding the DEL key down when you switch on. This will take you into the BIOS set-up routine, look around in here but be careful not to change anything yet).