Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing new CPU Fan/Heatsink, how to properly mount?

• Please log in to reply

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
If you are unsure what to get, tell us what kind of case you have so we can check the clearance space for its spec, and make sure it will fit. Zalman also makes nice CPU coolers. There are a number of brands that all do good, and will allow you to move air from the front to the back. I just want to make sure whatever you go after will fit inside your case. Some of the CPU coolers have the option for front and rear fans, but so far, I have found the dual fans unnecessary, since the fan from the CPU cooler is usually feeding warm air to the fan at the rear of the case which is exhausting it from there.

Advertisements

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Thanks for the links, I appreciate it.

Right now, the Arctic Cooler 13 fits in there, yes it's a little tight, but it fits. I just wish I can have it positioned facing the rear. My current case size is a Mid-size ATX. Dimensions if needed:
Height: 38.7 cm (15.23 inches)
Width: 17.5 cm (6.89 inches)
Length: 41.4 cm (16.29 inches)

I'd like to have a similar cooler to the Arctic Cooler. But you know, with a better design.

Also, the fan connector on my mobo is only a three pin. The Arctic Cooler has a four pin. It works, but does this really mean anything? Is it ok? Just wondering about that.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
The 3/4 pin fan to 3/4 pin board header is not a problem. I think the only difference is 4th pin means you can control the fan using Speed Control, 3 pins means voltage. Everything I read says this is a non-issue.

After careful consideration, this is my final on what you should get to replace the Arctic Freezer. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835103064 I spent a chunk of time looking at everything and considering where you are and where you need to be. This would be the same fan size as the Freezer 13, and the heatsink is actually 1mm shorter than your current one. I am concerned about enough space for you to install a 212 or 212 EVO in a Mid ATX case, when you tell me the Freezer is already a tight fit. The other issue is, for both the 212 & 212 EVO, you have to remove the stock Mobo bracket, and attach the Cooler Master Custom bracket. This normally would not be a huge deal except your computer is already configured, and installing this item would require removal of all installed items and the motherboard, so you can get to the back of it. The Hyper TX3, uses what is already there, saving you time and frustration. Make sure to get some good thermal paste for this, and clean the processor very well before the install.

My only other suggestion is if you have the space for a fan at the front of the case, add one, if you haven't already. It can help draw air in from the front to help keep things cool. They usually fit in a space between the front panel and the drive cage. On some computers, they actually go beneath the front bezel, if you remove it. From your pic, it looks like an extra molex power lead is available for another case fan. Figure out what size you need and add it. Colors are optional but not necessary. Buy something decent like a Corsair, or Cooler Master, Antec, Thermaltake, etc, not just something no name you will hate later on.

Edited by fyrfyter33, 15 January 2013 - 10:47 PM.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Thank you for taking the time to search which cooler would suit me best. I appreciate it.

I am wondering, will I be able to install it facing the rear of the case? Cause earlier I was reading reviews for the Cooler Master 212, and one mentioned in the feedback that for AMD installation, only vertical position is possible. Which is the situation I have now. I know the one you linked is different, but is there a way to be sure I can install it horizontally, facing the rear?

And yeah I'm now considering installing an extra case fan in the front of my system. Does it make sense though, since it'd be blocked by my front panel?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Sorry Guys, Looking at the terrible installation guide, no able to determine if the cooler can be installed facing front to back.

Xanster82 . Do you have the Mobo manual? (post the brand and model for us) In the original heat sink installation instruction, can the mounting bracket be turned 90 degrees?

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Go on Cooler Masters website. There they have pictures as to how their TX3 will install. The Newegg link has pictures for how the AMD clip interlocks with the heat pipes. I would provide links & images, but I am replying through Tapatalk on my phone, since I am at work.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I tried to watch videos on Youtube of that cooler, it looks like it would be a pain to install? Can't tell too much.

I couldn't find a manual for my Motherboard, but I found this:
http://www.findlapto...cs-12242010h37/

The brand and model are Foxconn 2AB1.

Like I said, I've watched some videos of the install on Newegg and Youtube. Not sure if it can be installed the way I need it.. Hm.

Edited by Xanster82, 16 January 2013 - 01:09 PM.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
At least one of those videos shows the CPU cooler installed wrong. I think it would be an easy install. Looks simple enough.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
See that the Mobo is often installed in a HP, so there does not seem to be a user install manual.
I think your best option is to remove the existing cooler and see if it is possible to to rotate the mounting bracket.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Thanks... I'm thinking about doing something different. I think I might switch to this CPU:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819106009

Of course I would put in a new mobo. But if I use that new CPU, would the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 be sufficient enough to cool that CPU? Would the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO fit in my current case? I have the Arctic Freezer 13 in there now, yes it's a little tight but I do have some more room. Really it seems like the 212 Evo is only taller than the Arctic Freezer. Might be wrong on that. And if i was able to have it face the rear case, I'd have a bit more room.

Advertisements

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
If you're going to consider that route, make sure your power supply can handle it. It might be worth it to see if you can find a CPU/Mobo/Case combo, and install the evo 212, or the TX3, or any other cooler you want. I believe the TX3 is AM3+ compatible, so it should be fine.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Yeah my current PSU is a Seasonic 620w. I think that's fine. I would get a combo but I could never find a decent priced one. It's cheaper for me to just replace the motherboard for now.

AMD hasn't changed the socket type so even coolers that don't say they are compatible with an AM3+, it shouldn't matter either way. I'd go with the 212 Evo if it would fit. I think I might go that route and see how it goes.

Just wonder if this mobo would fit in my current HP case? I think it would since my current mobo is a uATX and the one I linked is the same. uATX = Micro ATX. But I wonder if the connectors on the back would line up with the back panel.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128565

Edited by Xanster82, 16 January 2013 - 06:41 PM.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
It should fit ok. Is the I/O shield on the HP case removable? Also, that new Mobo has USB 3.0 headers, which I am fairly certain will not work with your hp case. I would strongly encourage looking for a new case, or we can work on speccing a new system. You don't have to get a new proc to get a new mobo. An AM3 proc will work in an AM3+ board, you just can't use an AM3+ processor in an AM3 board.

Let me look around and see if I can find a decent case for a fair price.

What do you think of this? http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811147163

Edited by fyrfyter33, 16 January 2013 - 07:04 PM.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I really only have enough to get a new mobo, unfortnately. So it's either a new case or mobo. The reason I want a new mobo so I can have a better CPU (AM3+). The one I linked is better than my current one. So since that one mobo I linked won't work, so anything with USB 2.0 will be fine? Hm.

Edited by Xanster82, 16 January 2013 - 07:34 PM.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I would go with the new case. It will provide a good starting base for your future upgrades. A new Mobo would be pointless, since you cannot afford the new processor for it as well, and would not be able to take advantage of all its features. Do the case & CPU cooler and be done with it. The case will have a changeable I/O shield, so a new Mobo down the road will not be a problem.