Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing new CPU Fan/Heatsink, how to properly mount?

• Please log in to reply

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Right. I just recently bought this CPU for $125. I can still return it (and get the new CPU, for a bit cheaper). So that's what I was planning on doing. I can down the line purchase a new case when I have a bit extra money. I would wait, but if I am going to return my current CPU (And Arctic Cooler) I'd like to do it now. Cause I probably won't have any extra money until sometime later next month.

Advertisements

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
So why bring up the cooling issue at all? If you knew what you were doing, or going to do, why bother asking?

Better planning and asking about a system build would be more appropriate.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Because I just decided to upgrade to a better mobo like less than four hours ago. I would still use the cooler you suggested for my other CPU. Not all for naught.

But upgrading to a new mobo is likely out of the question, as I would probably not be able to use my current OS on the new mobo.

Edited by Xanster82, 16 January 2013 - 08:28 PM.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I'm calling BS. You've pulled this stunt before. Nothing like some digging to find out what is really going on. http://www.geekstogo...ssor,-Need-Help

I'll help those that will listen to advice, but this seems to be a complete waste of time. Enjoy whatever it is that you want to do. My participation in this discussion is over.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
You're pathetic. What are you even trying to suggest or prove? That I secretly bought a CPU back in 2011? Just because I made a thread about it? Lol, get over yourself. What kind of "stunt" do you think I am pulling? Think I am trying to scam everyone here at Geeks to Go or something? Lol that's sad... I've been wanting to upgrade my CPU since then, since I upgraded my graphics and PSU, back in late 2011. That extra cash had to go to something else more important, so I put off getting a CPU. Until now, when I was able to purchase one. Just last week.

Originally I wanted the stock cooler, but then after reading around during last year, I decided when I do upgrade, an aftermarket cooler would be best. Found in this thread, when I ask what cooler would suit me best:
http://www.geekstogo..._1#entry2221824

I shouldn't have to explain myself.

I am listening to your advice, but I am limited on what I can do here. And right now, I want a better CPU than the one I just purchased. You make it seem the whole cooling issue was for nothing. It's not. I'm taking your advice and purchasing the cooler you suggested. It will work with my current CPU or the one I wish to upgrade, if I do. But now it doesn't look like I'll be doing the mobo thing, being I would need to purchase another copy of Windows 7.

So if you don't want to help, then don't. I'll seek help else where.

Edited by Xanster82, 16 January 2013 - 08:52 PM.