Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New card reader not working

• Please log in to reply

istring

istring

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hello, let me start by saying YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!

I've recently purchased a new multi card reader (VANTEC Model#UGT:CR905). The problem i'm having is, whenever I insert a card into one of the drive bays windows tries to load it but pauses and then says "explorer not responding"

I run Windows 7 & Linux mint. However when using Mint the USB slot works fine (not so for Windows), yet no other slots work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,994 posts
Hello istring

However when using Mint the USB slot works fine (not so for Windows), yet no other slots work.

Not an ideal answer for you I`m afraid but having read the Newegg feedback tab for the same model of card reader there is a possibility that the device itself is bad http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820276003

istring

istring

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
WOW!! What consistently rubbish reviews. Thanks for your time. I'll have check reviews before purchases from now on.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,994 posts
You are welcome, I am sorry that I could not suggest any sort troubleshooting for you :(

Good idea to check customer feedback in future :thumbsup:

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
RMA that thing back to NewEgg as defective, or complain to Vantec, as they have requested in all the other negative reviews. Don't stand for that stuff! Most of us spend good money for computer parts and accessories we expect to work!

istring

istring

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Yeah. Vantec is sending me a new cable they suspect is causing the problem. Failing that it goes back to supplier.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Here in Britain we would claim a full refund of the purchase price under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 as the item in not fit for the purpose for which it was intended.

However I am unsure of the law on this aspect where you are from Istring.

istring

istring

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I'm in Canada and could get a full refund. In fact I definitely will if I can't get it fixed.The part itself in inexpensive and useful to me so I'll try the fix first.