Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Fans go into turbo

• Please log in to reply

Hammertime23

Hammertime23

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry but I am not much of a computer geek but I can follow directions pretty well.

I have a Dell Inspiron 531s, running Windows 7 AMD 64 x 2, dual core 5600+ 3gb.

I will try to explain my issue as simple as possible.

If I am watching a u tube video about 1 minute into it my computer goes into turbo mode (sounds like the fans rpm's go off the charts) and sometimes the computer will lock up. Now if I switch my power mode from Balanced to Power saver that eliminates the fans from going turbo but then my computer runs slower. That's it. I have speedfan and monitor the temps and fans rpm's. Any help would be greatly appreciative. Heatsink issue..?

Thanks
Hammertime23

Advertisements

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Just sounds like a heat and airflow issue in general. Are the CPU cooler heatsink fins and case fans free of dust and dirt? How many case fans do you have, and do they all seem to be spinning at full speed? What about the Graphics Card and its fan.

Hammertime23

Hammertime23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank You.. I just did a complete clean of the inside, I removed the fans and the heatsink and changed the Thermal paste on the cpu. Running like the day I bought it. Next is to upgrade some memory and a new video card. Any recommendations for a video card, I do not play many games, so I do not think I need anything to extreme.

Thanks.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I always buy Nvidia cards, but that is a personal preference. You can get any number of decent cards for around $100, possibly less, but before any recommendations, I need to know what games you play, and what kind of graphics slot you have.

A spec of your system & display would help even more.

Edited by fyrfyter33, 16 January 2013 - 06:42 PM.