Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MP4 on Windows 8?

• Please log in to reply

mclimbin

mclimbin

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hello, I just picked up an HP Envy x2, a new machine that is running Windows 8. I like the new system, but am having a hard time trying to play videos. I have some tv shows and movies that I downloaded from iTunes (which are MP4's)on my main computer, but when I move them to the x2 the Video app does not recognize them. iTunes does not work on the machine, and VLC plays the video (from the desktop, of course) but with no sound or image.

Should I convert these files to another format to be able to play them on Win 8? So far I like everything about W8 except this Video app and the Music app.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I use vlc and it has played mp4 without a problem. What version of VLC are you using?

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Thanks for the reply. I just downloaded the latest version of vlc. It gives the version number as 2.0.5. What do you think?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That's the same version I have and it plays everything so far with no problem. Does it play your mp4's now with no problem?

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Sorry, I meant that I "simply" downloaded the latest version. :)

STill no luck. The file seems to be playing, the clock runs down and I can pause it and start it again, but there is no sound and the only image is the orange and white safety cone (the vlc logo).

Maybe I'll try uninstalling it and downloading it again.

Any other suggestions?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Being that vlc usually contains all the codecs I would say the issue is the file itself. Have you tried playing it on another system to see if it works?

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Tried uninstalling and re-downloading, but no difference. Still not working.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please explain what you mean below by x2.

but when I move them to the x2 the Video app does not recognize them.

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
The computer is an HP Envy x2 running Windows 8. :)

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Being that vlc usually contains all the codecs I would say the issue is the file itself. Have you tried playing it on another system to see if it works?

Yes, the file works fine on both of my Windows 7 machines. That is why I figured it was a problem with Windows 8, but it may just be an assumption.

I use iTunes to play it usually, since I downloaded the files from there. iTunes doesn't seem to work with Windows 8, though.

Edited by mclimbin, 15 January 2013 - 12:06 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Looks to be a new laptop tablet type system. Are the files itune files and you say they work on win7 but is that using vlc or itunes player?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK you answered my question before I posted it. Have you installed itunes on the win8 system and does it play other files except for mp4's?

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Thanks! I tried a mov file and it worked ok.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK this might work. Try downloading the file on the win8 system and see if it will work then. Something may have gotten corrupted in the transfer you did.

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
You mean downloading directly from iTunes? I tried installing iTunes and it didn't work at all. I did a quick search and found that iTunes was not supported on Windows 8 yet. Was that wrong?