Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MP4 on Windows 8?

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope but you may have found the source of your issue. If Itunes won't work it may be stopping vlc from functioning correctly.
it looks like any Itunes before version 11 will not work on Win8 according to this I found in my research.

iTunes 11 now officially supports windows 8. Hopefully, that will solve the problems reported in this thread for those having difficulites.

Advertisements

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hmm. I downloaded the latest version of iTunes, but it didn't work at all. I'll try doing that again, I guess.

From what I remember, iTunes would work if you have Media Center, which is a free download if you have Windows 8 Pro. I have the Home version, or whatever is the most basic version of Windows 8. An upgrade to pro would be another $40, which I would rather avoid.

Anyway, I'm attempting to install iTunes again.

Edited by mclimbin, 15 January 2013 - 12:43 PM.

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Well, interesting. I tried to download iTunes and it downloaded OK but it really doesn't play video. The whole thing locked up and I had to restart.

However, I ripped a movie from a dvd (to a mp4) and moved that to the HP, and that plays fine, even in the native Videos app that comes with Win 8.

Seems like it *is* a problem with those files from iTunes...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep I would agree it is a file problem and not a app issue.
I wonder if you could try to find the file other then itunes if it would play.