Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Replaced faulty dc jack on laptop now caused more problems

• Please log in to reply

joyzaphine

joyzaphine

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all!

Well the dc power jack on my acer 5742 laptop needed replacing. While doing this the black plastic retainer clip that attaches the power cable to the motherboard came off. I mean I gently opened it but it must have been barely on to begin with.

Anyway I carry on and replace the jack successfully. Slip the power cable in where it's meant to go (minus the clip to hold it in).

I reconnect the keyboard and go to turn it on.....surprise surprise nothing. Even the lights next to the power button don't light up

I take the keyboard back off and adjust the power cable to ensure its at least in correctly, by doing this the laptop switched on (still no lights next to the button). But when I tried to type my windows password the keyboard no longer works. I have replaced several keyboards so I know it's connected properly.

Now I'm lost. Considering giving up. Any advice?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
:welcome: joyzaphine

For testing purposes do you have a USB keyboard that you can connect to see if the notebooks keyboard is the only thing that is not working.

joyzaphine

joyzaphine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't have one but will ask around

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Ok, I will look out for an update when you are ready.