Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

combining multiple SSD's

• Please log in to reply

strikermed

strikermed

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Hey guys, I am looking to do some upgrading. Currently I have a 120gb ssd, and I would like to expand on that for the OS and software/games.

What I'm wondering is, with the price of getting 2 120gb ssd's being cheaper than a single 240ssd, is there a way to combine them, say like a dynamic link in windows 7 or something like that. If I could, I'd like to avoid a Raid Set up. I currently use the HDDBOOST method with a 1TB hdd and a 120gb ssd.

My main concern is will it work if I combined 2 120gb ssd's? Will they act like 1 drive? My other concerns are will an OS go on them? My last is will the performance still be good?

Advertisements

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
120GB will hold an OS. I have Win 7 installed on a 120GB SSD and still have 70 GB of Space. All games and apps, and files I put on a 1TB HDD. I had Windows redirect my Documents and everything else to the 1TB as well. Put your games on the HDD. You won't see enough of a jump in game functionality on an SSD to make that worthwhile. I don't think a dynamic link will work fast enough trying to link 2 SSDs together to get what you want, and I think you are going to create a situation where windows could act like there is an issue, when in fact it is one that was created. I think RAID is the only way to strap both of them together and get correct functionality.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Windows 8 has data pooling feature called Storage Spaces. The SSDs look like any other hard drive, so Windows Storage Spaces would be able to pool the 2x120GB drives into one partition that appears like 1x240GB drive.

Microsoft has a special $39.99 upgrade price on Windows 8 Pro through Jan 31, 2103: http://windows.micro...-US/windows/buy

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Windows 8 has data pooling feature called Storage Spaces. The SSDs look like any other hard drive, so Windows Storage Spaces would be able to pool the 2x120GB drives into one partition that appears like 1x240GB drive.

Microsoft has a special $39.99 upgrade price on Windows 8 Pro through Jan 31, 2103: http://windows.micro...-US/windows/buy

That's interesting. Is Windows 8 stable/battle tested? I know windows 7 had some issues which they quickly fixed, but vista had a slew of problems.

Also, after reading up on that link. This looks like it's something you have to have windows installed on first. How can you use them as your main drive? Would you need to install windows on one, then add an additional drive after it is installed? Also, is there any kind of performance hit?