Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD ROM drive in Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply

samboy

samboy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all,

I have a custom Laptop with the following configuration.

600 Mhz Pentium
324 MB RAM
30 GB HDD
CD/DVD rom drive

I have a dual boot with Windows 98/Windows 2000.

I bought this machine 4 yrs back and the OS it came with at that time was Windows 98 Second Edition.
All worked fine on Windows 98 and it still works fine on Windows 98.

I installed Windows 2000 to keep up with the technology and my DVD Drive JUST DOES NOT WORK reading Data DVD's.

It will not read any data DVD disk in Windows 2000. Looks like it has lost that ability completely.

I recently bought Microsoft Encarta on DVD but it will not work and says that the DVD disk is corrupt.

I, then re-booted my machine in Windows 98 and the DVD drive was able to read properly. So i know that the DVD is good and it is not corrupt.

The DVD drive plays Movies DVD although, through the DVD software. I use Mediamatics DVD Express.

If i put a CD - Data or Music it works fine in Windows 2000.

I read over the internet that i need the de-coders for the DVD drive for working in Windows 2000.
I was under the impression that if i install the software for running the DVD movies (which works as mentioned above), the Data DVD should also work.

Has anyone gone through a similar problem ?
Please help.

Thanks,
SAMBOY.

Advertisements

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
You may need to install a different driver program for your DVD player to work correctly under Win 2K.
Visit the DVD manufacturer's website and and see if you can download the correct drivers. Then disable the player in Device Manager, reboot and let Windows find it again. The Install New Hardware wizard will ask for the location of the driver file, just point it to where you stored the driver you downloaded.
(You may not need to do this if the driver comes with its' own insallation program).

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
how were the data dvds created? What program?

samboy

samboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I bought the dvd from Compusa. Microsoft Encarta Reference DVD.
Also i have created several DVD's using Nero but all have the same problem.

I think i need DVD Decoder files for Windows 2000.

Does someone have the necessary DVD decoder files for 2000.

Thanks,
samboy.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
dvd decoder files are needed for movies, not data disks.

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose HARDWARE, choose DEVICE MANAGER

remove your dvd player and reboot -- windows will rededect

samboy

samboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello ,

I have uninstalled the device and re-booted and Windows 2000 re-dectects the device fine. This process works fine.

That is the reason i can access the DVD movies once i install Mediamatics DVD Express.

The same Data DVD is accessible in Windows 98.

I also have a DVD-RW where i put the Data DVD and i am able to Read the Data DVD from there.

Thanks,
samboy

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
try:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
[Start > Run and type: REGEDIT , and hit enter]

2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

6. Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value,
if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need
to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

7. Restart your computer.