Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

noise from modem

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
OK i get this problem with noise from my speakers coming from DSL modem.If i unplug my modem,the noise goes away.I have a good surge protector which is where all my computer stuff plugged into,even modem.I have 5.1 creative speaker system,which also has a wired volume control,which has a bass increase knob,and a headphone jack.When i plug headphones into this jack,i hear a tapping noise on low volumes,if i unplug modem,it stops.Without plugging headphones into this jack,listening to speakers,i get slight buzz,on high volumes,i know it is modem,cause problem leaves when i unplug it.I tried ferrite chokes on power line of modem,does nothing,i think maybe it's because cheap the power supply on modem,has no ground,meaning one prong wider then other,or 3 pronged for ground,somehow getting to speakers making this noise i believe this maybe problem.Now i tried plugging headphones right into the soundcards headphone jack and no problems at all,but like use one on creative speakers,and also believe this noise could cause other issues,either in modem or computer.I want to keep modem plugged into this surge protector for reasons of having a surge protector.

Edited by jds63, 15 January 2013 - 10:33 PM.

Advertisements