Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PC build worked for awhile, sudden random shut downs

• Please log in to reply

Wesdog784

Wesdog784

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I just built a new custom build PC around Christmas time for mainly gaming. Here are the specs:
-ASUS M5A88 EVO-V Motherboard
-Corsair TX650 650W PSU
-G.Skill Rip Jaws (2x4GB) RAM
-Radeon HD 6750 DDR5 1gb
-AMD FX-4100 Quad-Core Processor at 3.6ghz
-LITE-ON BD-R Drive
-HP DVD+/- RW IDE Drive
EDIT: - COOLER MASTER Elite 431 Plus ATX Mid-Tower Case
-Barracuda 200GB SATA HDD 5400RPM (I know, not a good HDD, but it's an old one I got from a friend. Budget didn't allow for a Hard Drive)

When I first finished building, everything started up fine. No problems whatsoever. Installed some games, and the PC ran like a champ. After I installed another game, which is more recent and higher-end, I found my computer couldn't run it at ultra graphics. So, I tried to do a little bit of overclocking (don't remember what I set it to) with my GPU via Catalyst Control Center, but not the CPU since I had turbo-core activated in the BIOS. I found that any attempt to overclock the GPU at all would cause video or a game to freeze, and forcing me to restart the PC. After that, I set things back to default in CCC (Catalyst Control Center) and played the game at medium or so graphics. I played the game several times for a few hours at a time, and never had any problems other than a little lag. Just yesterday, however, after playing the game for maybe 3 hours, I quit the game and began browsing the internet. Everything was fine until the PC suddenly shut down with no warning. No BSOD, no beep, just poof. I couldn't get it to turn back on after that. I unplugged for a minute or so, plugged back in and pressed the power button and things lit up for a split second and shut back down again. So after a few minutes of unplugging it and letting the PC sit, I got it turned back on.

It ran for a few minutes and then shut down again the same way. Couldn't get it to turn back on after that. I let it sit all day today, and around 5:00 I turned it back on. I downloaded SpeedFan to monitor my temperatures and the CPU was running very hot at around 50 degrees Celsius. I figured that the CPU was overheating, thus shutting the PC down, since I didn't apply any extra thermal compound to the processor other than what was pre-applied to the bottom of the fan that came with the CPU. So after letting it sit for a couple hours I turned it back on again, this time with the cover off and a fan blowing cool air on the PC to keep it cool. I constantly monitored the temperature of the CPU and it was running fairly cool. Started around 20 Degrees C and the last time I checked it was around 40 degrees C in a matter of ten minutes or so. A few minutes after checking the CPU temp for the last time at 40, the PC shut down again. So I began to think that perhaps it wasn't the CPU and something else was causing the random shut downs. At this point, I'm clueless.

Can you guys help me identify the problem?

Edited by Wesdog784, 16 January 2013 - 12:01 AM.

Advertisements

Wesdog784

Wesdog784

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
bump

Wesdog784

Wesdog784

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
bump

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Wesdog784, Sorry you got Missed.

I think we should start by making sure the rig is running at default setting.
Go > CCC, > set all to default, > restart and check settings are at default.
> Restart, enter BIOS, > Load default setting, > Save and exit. computer should restart, let the desktop load.
> Restart, enter bios. Check CPU and RAM are set correctly, Save and exit.

Play some games to test.

If the rig is still shutting down.
Could be the PSU, even though it is new, could have developed a fault, You could try a know working PSU, or get yours professionally tested, (must be done under load)

Could be faulty RAM. Quick Check. > click on the 'Windows' button (formerly the 'Start' button) and type Windows in the search box. The Windows Memory Diagnostic item will appear at the top. Click it and at the restart prompt choose restart. The windows memory diagnostic tool will test your RAM. You can change the memory test parameters while it is running. The hot keys are at the bottom of the screen.

Thorough Check, run overnight, > Make a bootable memtest86+[USB stick or CD) and then boot to memtest86+ after POST. Let memtest86 complete its cycle with no errors before you test the next stick; it could take an hour or more depending on your RAM. The bootable compilations are about 1/2 way down the webpage. You should test each stick of RAM separately to see if there are errors. And then run memtest86+ on all the sticks together. If the RAM passes, you have another problem.
If you are unable to run the tests, let us know, Next suspect would be that old HDD.
Edit to clean up formattting

Edited by iammykyl, 22 January 2013 - 03:43 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Sorry about the formatting displayed in the above post, now fixed.

How are things going, any results yet? An update would be appreciated.