Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new build desk top

• Please log in to reply

alan2246

alan2246

• Pip
  • 9 posts
i am building a desktop have coolmaster 272 case, a gigabyte 970a-d3 motherboard amd fx6100 6core processor alpine 750watt power supply and 32gb corsair xms3 memory when try to start fans etc start for 2 sec then nothing can any body help this is my first build

Edited by alan2246, 16 January 2013 - 02:56 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi alan2246, Posted Image
First check that you have two power cable attached to the Mobo. The 20/4 pin main cable, (powers the Mobo) The ATX 12 volt 4 pin or the EPS 12 volt 8 pin cable, (power for the CPU) usually plugs in above and to the left of the CPU. Check you have the cooler fan cable plugged into the CPU fan header on the Mobo, not a system fan header.

Do you have a video card installed?

alan2246

alan2246

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hi i dont have a video card the 12volt connector is 8 pin my power supply is only 4 pin

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
Please check you have given the correct Motherboard model.

From Post #1.
a gigabyte 970a-d3 motherboard

For that model, specifications, > http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=4395#ov Non of the revisions have a video output.. How are you connecting to the monitor?

Needs sorting so we do not give you the wrong advise.

alan2246

alan2246

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
sorry i have a radeon h d 6570

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the Update.
According to your Mobo manual, Page #22, you need a 8 pin connector. a 4/4 pin would do. Sometimes a manual will say that it is OK to use a single 4 pin 12 volt cable, But not in this case. I have also been looking for a professionally review for you PSU, non available. It is a extremely poor quality cheap unit with hardly any certificates at all. I have seen that it is no longer for sale at places like Debs, Here is one of many users results, plenty more like it. > http://www.tomshardw...learned-lesson.

I think you will have no end of problems using that PSU and even if you can get it going, once you start gaming, it will be unstable. My advise is to return it, claiming a refund and state that it does not have enough amps to power your system.
Tell us what you think.

alan2246

alan2246

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hi, have found it is the psu i have ordered a cool-master gt 750 watt which has the 4 plus 4 connector on so hopefully that will cure the problem and thank you for all your help

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your welcome, good you got it sorted.
What model of PSU have you ordered?

When reading your Mobo manual, did you take note about switching of the power and of taking anti static measures?
Did you make sure that the Motherboard stand offs that are screwed into the motherboard mounting plate, inside the case, matched exactly the pattern and number of screw holes in the Motherboard? no extra ones.
Did you apply Thermal paste?

Please let us know how you get on.
\

alan2246

alan2246

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
the one i got was a cool-master GT 750

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
You will have no problems powering your system with that PSU.
If you need any more help, let us know.

alan2246

alan2246

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hi the other problem i have is i use a ssd for boot up only how do i program evrything else to go to the d drive

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
There are heaps of ways to do this, some simple, relocating after install, some very complicated, moving default location of system folders during new installation of the OS.
Before plunging in, research the method you are going to use so you underspend what is happening. I just use the simple, Relocation Tab,
> http://www.ghacks.ne...r-in-windows-7/ (lots of other how to on that site.

This one is more complicated. > http://www.overclock...e-for-ssds-hdds

A lot of gamers use Steam Mover. explore this site > http://forums.steamp...d.php?t=3054423

search Google, Move my docs folders window 7

Be sure to make restore points.

alan2246

alan2246

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i have put the ssd in the o/s is windows 8 and i want the ssd to boot and every thing else to go to D drive how can i do this

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
You are going to have to search for how to do this yourself, Not that I do not want to help you but, the method you decide to use must have some sort of support as well so that if you get problems, you are not left swinging in the breeze.