Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Computer will not stop stopping

• Please log in to reply

skadera

skadera

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,

My computer keeps freezing up. If I am activly working or running a virus checker or whatever the computer works fine. As soon as I leave the room, go to lunch or talk with someone on the phone the compter freezes up and only a hard re-boot will get is going again.

I am on windows 2000 pro. I have run every spyware and virus checker I can find. None of them have solved the problem. The only thing I can think is that I have a hardware issue. I have uninstalled my Zip drive with no change. What else can I do?

Note, the computer freezes in Safe Mode too.

Thanks,

sk

Advertisements

ShogunWarrior

ShogunWarrior

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Windows component: annoy.dll
Well, ok that doesn't exist but a similiar thign happened to me.
I would walk away and a minute later I would hear: Beep, Whirr and the computer would be restarting. I changed some user account login stuff and it seems to have stopped but as for what is happenging to you I don't know.
I'd hesitate to say that this could me some kind of power saving or user inactivity 'feature' but there's no harm in trying. Try looking in Control Panel for power settings etc.

-SW

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
could you explain what net connection or lan speed you are using .. well although its not a problem .. heating also does lot of damages .. stop responding ..

if you explain some thing .. well as far u go above its a good choice to reinstall windows .. if you'r windows have too old ..

skadera

skadera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have a DSL connection. 10 mbps. I'm not sure how that helps?

I don't think it is a heat or power issue because it dosen't do anything as long as I am working. Just when I walk away. I will look into the inacitivity.

sk

Edited by skadera, 06 June 2005 - 10:24 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
bios update perhaps

I wonder if the advanced power management features are trying to kick in, but there is an incompatibility.

Try turning off any power saving function in control panel first, and if that does not work, look in bios

skadera

skadera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Added note:

I did just find this under Computer Management

System Information report written at: 06/06/2005 10:58:56 AM
[Problem Devices]

Device PNP Device ID Error Code
NT Apm/Legacy Interface Node ROOT\NTAPM\0000 22

Any ideas????

ShogunWarrior

ShogunWarrior

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Take a look:>HERE< and see if it helps.

-SW

Edited by ShogunWarrior, 06 June 2005 - 11:15 AM.

skadera

skadera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I made some changes to the power options.

Changed Power Scheme to Always on
Changed turn off monitor to 2 hours (not 20 min)
Changed turn off hard disk to (after 10 min)
Enabled Advanced power Managment. (it was off)

I do have a UPS but don't have it hooked into a com port.

ShogunWarrior

ShogunWarrior

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Why do you want the hard disk to turn off after 10 mins? Surely you want the opposite of this don't you?

-SW

skadera

skadera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
just figured i'd try something different.

skadera

skadera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I looked through the device manager and didn't find any errors for NT Apm/Legacy Interface Node or anything else. I did try to update the driver for Apm/Legacy but windows says it is the latest and greatest.

Thanks for all your help,

sk

skadera

skadera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
One more clue...

I have de-fragged my computer twice in the last three days. Every time analyze the drive to see if it needs to be done, it shows that it does, even just after I de-fragged it.

strange.....

ShogunWarrior

ShogunWarrior

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Another problem I had. About 3 weeks ago I defragged my drive as any computer person knows they should and lo-and-behold what happens?
The WHOLE DRIVE WENT CORRUPT. So, a windows reinstallation and a [bleep] of a lot of downloading my PC is back up again and I'm not thinking of defragging any time soon.

-SW

skadera

skadera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Note, I found a free tool that will let you defrag individual files/folders on your computer.

www.dirms.com

My computer hasn't crashed in the last couple of hours. I may have found the problem. I just don't know what it was.

sk

skadera

skadera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I lied, I am still freezing up.

sk