Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

will not conect to the iternet via ethernet cable

• Please log in to reply

Rain2007

Rain2007

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi... i have a problem ive been trying to resolve for weeks.... At first i tried to plug the ethernet cable from my friends modem to my laptop... The laptop was not picking up the devise at all... so i send the pc away for 2 weeks.... I now have it back and the pc is picking up the device but is saying there are not the correct ip... how do i get the correct ip settings..? my gf,s pc picks up the modem straight away... thankyou

Advertisements

Geekykeke30

Geekykeke30

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have tried to go to Devices and Printers, Add device it will display instructions to search for devices. I struggled with Ip also.. I ended up calling support. IP- Internet Provider. ISP- Internet Service Provider. It was awhile ago,. so forgot the settings or where you actually are finding the settings for IP?? Do you know if using a modem Do you always need an Ethernet cable or just phone line? I have trouble with mine always saying Internet Explorer cannot display webpage & diagnose connection does Not Do anything..Still learning..lol. Thank you

Master24

Master24

• Pip
  • 1 posts
It sounds like an IP conflict. Try removing any static IP addresses inside your OS. Since you have not specified your OS, here is how you would do so for Windows 7:

Click "Start" in Windows and open "Control Panel."

Click "Network and Internet" and then select "Network and Sharing Center."

Click on the task "Change Adapter Settings."

Right click the broadband connection icon and select "Properties."

Click on the tab "Networking" in the "Connection Properties" window.

Select "Internet Protocol Version 4" and then click "Properties."

Delete any numbers in the "IP address" field using the "Backspace" key on your keyboard; this removes the static IP address from your computer.

Click to select the radio button next to "Obtain an IP address automatically." This sets up your computer to use dynamic IP addresses.

Repeat steps 4 through 8 for other broadband connections if more than one is set up on your computer.

Please reply with the status of your problem, I'd be happy to help more if I can.

Edited by Master24, 17 January 2013 - 11:08 AM.