Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

heat sink fan

• Please log in to reply

shoaib20695

shoaib20695

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hi. i bought intel quad core q6700 today and i want to know that whether it will fit in my old heat sink and fan of dual core prcessor xeon e3110 or do i have to buy a new heat sink fan for quad core.i have stock fan now.

Edited by shoaib20695, 16 January 2013 - 10:11 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Hi shoaib20695 Posted Image
If this is the CPU you purchased?
> http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115027
It comes with it's own heat sink and fan. This should be used. do not use the heat sink and fan from the xeon e3110, It is not designed for a quad core CPU, you may cause damage.

What is the brand and model of your Motherboard?

shoaib20695

shoaib20695

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi.yes i bought the same processor.i hav dg43 nb board.il buy new sink..any suggeations?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Hi.
Is this the Motherboard you have purchased?
> http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813121349

shoaib20695

shoaib20695

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes i have this board.nw the temperature of the four core of the processor is almost 50 each while idle and around 85 centigrade during game.i installed a rear chassis fan too but no difference.evn changed the paste twice.suggestions????

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,011 posts
Hello shoaib20695

While iammykyl is offline can you run Speedfan and provide a screenshot of the results for us;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

shoaib20695

shoaib20695

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i did the steps but fan speeds and voltages are not detect in software.and also there is a temperature difference between softwares.speedfan shows 10c less...bios only shows fan speed.but there is no option to change it.

Attached Thumbnails

• tem.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,011 posts
Your video card cooling fan is running too slow and should be increased, see guide http://www.ehow.com/...-fan-speed.html

If you have room in the front of your case I would fit an induction fan that will draw in extra cooler air.

Read the "how to" Speedfan guide at the attached link to help with getting the best out of your cooling fans http://www.silentpcreview.com/SpeedFan

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
We ma get some better readings with HWMonitor and again provide a screenshot for us http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Check that your cooler is installed securely. Hold onto the CPU cooler and gently, carefully, put pressure to each corner in turn. There should be very, very little movement and no corner should lift at all. If you can see the back of the Motherboard, the 4 locking pins should be showing all the same length.

shoaib20695

shoaib20695

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi.tnx fr reply.i hav provided the screen shot which also showed hardware monitore software readings.gpu is fine.othr fans r not showing up.may b motherboard doesnt support fan control.i hav reinstalled heatsink fan again n again.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Hi.
The screenshot for HWmonitor is not showing, please download it again.
When you have been installing the heatsink and fan, did you remove all traces of the old thermal paste from the top of the CPU and the bottom of the heatsink before adding a new blob? I use Isopropyl Alcohol 95% pure, Here is a video, Unless you have got lots of paste over the edges of the Motherboard socket, Just leave the CPU in place, use enough liquid on the q tip without flooding the socket. Remember to switch of the power and take anti static measures.

>

From your Motherboard Manual Page 11 Item N. Processor fan header (4-pin) Please make sure your cooler fan is plugged into this socket, not into socket l.

Intel Quiet System Technology fan speed control, delivering acoustically-optimized thermal management NOTE Memory must be installed in the Channel A, DIMM 0 socket to enable Intel Quiet System Technology.

There is no information in the user manual about BIOS settings for fan control, but it should be there somewhere.

shoaib20695

shoaib20695

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes i performed all the above steps

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_2013-01-21-19-52-28.png

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Please enter BIOS,

Scroll across top to Advanced setting.
Scroll down to see if you can find, fan/temp controls, maybe under PC Health.

If you have no luck, it is possible there is some BIOS corruption or a faulty sensor .
Unless another member has an alternative solution, I see your options as, RMA the board or, update the BIOS and RMA the board if problem not fixed.

updating the BIOS, > Go http://www.intel.com...b/CS-022312.htm read the instructions for Express BIOS update.
> Go this page, > http://downloadcente...ndows 7 (32-bit)*&DownloadType=BIOS
This is the BIOS update file to use, 3 down from the top, > NBG4310H.86A.0107.EB.EXE

shoaib20695

shoaib20695

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok tnx il try it

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Hi,
How are things going? Have you solved your problem?