Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unable to restore to factory settings

• Please log in to reply

beccaboo

beccaboo

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am looking to restore a HP laptop (that was given to me without any software) to factory settings. Have read and tried previous post to no avail. I am able to get to system restore but when I try, it says that computer must be plugged in to run. The computer is plugged in. I know this may seem like a stupid question to some but I am new to computers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
System Restore does not restore the computer to it's factory new state. For that you need a recovery partition on the hard drive or a XP installation CD or manufacturers recovery CD.

You can't order XP recovery CDs from the manufacturer any more but you can get them from places like restoredisks.com. I've purchased a few from them and had no problems. Cost was $29 for the ones I got.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
IF the recovery partition is there you might try this.

Press the power button to start the HP. Press and hold the F11 key to launch the HP Recovery Manager from the recovery partition.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Useful but may I point out that the last post before yours was 17 Jan.

I think beccaboo is possibly not going to reply.

However welcome to Geeks to Go, I only point it out to you to save your time and effort.

beccaboo

beccaboo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Have tried suggestions and get to the screen that asks if i would like to back files up. I respond no since this computer was given to me and I do not have any relevant info on it. The problem is that even though the computer is plugged into the wall outlet, for some reason it is not registering. It keeps saying that I need to plug it in, that you cannot restore while it is running on the battery. I am now thinking that there is a short in the power cord. If you can possibly think of some other reason for this please let me know. Thank you for the advice.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Before it will allow the recovery it must indeed be connected to a mains power source, as if the battery was to run flat whilst the recovery was in progress both the recovery files and the presently existing files on the drive may both be lost.

AND apart from some defect in the internal power circuits, no I cannot think of another reason. Perhaps an enquiry with the person who gifted it to you may provide more information

and for your future information

Have tried suggestions

unless you of course reply to YOUR topic the person assisting has no way of knowing if further advice is required or not.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 February 2013 - 02:26 AM.

beccaboo

beccaboo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for your time and advice.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Remove the battery. Plug in the power cord. Does it power up and work? If so the power adapter is okay. If not then you need a new one.

The battery may or may not be good but you won't know until you have a good power adapter.

beccaboo

beccaboo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks hadn't thought of that. Will give it a try.