Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to boot up Windows correctly after blue screen error fix

• Please log in to reply

nilo

nilo

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
I had a Config_Initialization_Failed Blue Screen and I fixed by following Microsoft solution to fix the Registry. The solution involves Four Parts, but after completing Part One, Window tries to boot up, but it doesn't finish.

The following is what I did:

At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line: md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer will restart.

Please help me. I have requested help before for malware issues, and your help resolved my issues.

The computer has Windows XP Home Edition.

Nilo

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What happens? Does it hang some where?

Is the next part of the instructions to boot to Safe Mode and do a System Restore?

Try booting the Recovery Console again then type chkdsk /r and press Enter. Let chkdsk run to completion. Can take an hour or more depending on the size of the hard drive.

After that, see if you can boot to Safe Mode to do the System Restore.

nilo

nilo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Ztruker:

Thanks for your reply. I had already ran a chkdsk /r before I fixed the blue screen.

I can't boot up to safe mode or normally. It just hangs at the desktop background- no taskbar or desktop icons.

Nilo

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What happens when you try to boot? Do you get an error message?

You didn't answer this question: Is the next part of the instructions to boot to Safe Mode and do a System Restore? If so, is that what you are doing, trying to boot to Safe Mode by pressing F8 at boot?

You commands start out with md tmp. That creates a tmp directory under the current directory. What directory were you in at that time? Did all the commands complete without error?

I don't see how what you did can mess up the boot record, but you can try running fixboot then fixmbr.

Boot to the Recovery Console. If you don't have an XP CD, download and run ARCDC by Artellos. It will download the required files from the Microsoft Web site and create a .iso file. It will also offer to burn the iso image to a CD for you. If you don't do it then, there is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do it at a later time. If you're unsure how to do this, you can follow the tutorial here: How to Burn an ISO File. This can be done from any computer.

Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.

Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).

From the command prompt, type fixboot and press Enter. Reboot and see if fixed. If not repeat the above but type fixmbr and press Enter then reboot.

Remove the CD, type exit and the computer will reboot. Hopefully that will have fixed the problem (corrupted file system).

nilo

nilo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Thanks for your reply. The following are my responses:

What happens when you try to boot?

The computer starts booting to Windows, but it doesn’t complete boot up. It doesn’t display the taskbar and desktop icons- it only boots up to the desktop background.

Do you get an error message?

No.

Is the next part of the instructions to boot to Safe Mode and do a System Restore? If so, is that what you are doing, trying to boot to Safe Mode by pressing F8 at boot?

I have tried booting into Safe Mode to complete part two, but I encounter the same problems as when booting up normally.

fixboot and fixmbr :

I will try these, but I tried them before I got rid of the Blue Screen error.

Any further suggestions to troubleshoot?

Thanks for your continued assistance.

Nilo