Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Core temp vs CPU temp

• Please log in to reply

Mavasilisk

Mavasilisk

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Since I overclocked my CPU today I started to monitor the temperatures harder and I've noticed that if the CPU temp is 33C, Core0 temp is 42C and Core1 temp is 43C. When I downloaded Intel tools it didnt bother Core temps, it just monitored the CPU temp after the stress test and it said "Passed". On a high load, the CPU temp is around 42C (its hot at home, around 28C) and on idle its around 30C-33C). I've read everywhere and people say different. Some say I should watch CPU temps, some say I should watch Core temps...can somebody make it clear?

Advertisements

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Try downloading & installing Speed Fan. See if it is more consistent on the temps.

Mavasilisk

Mavasilisk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
That the software that I use to monitor the temps, I've checked if it's accurate by installing more 3 temp monitoring programs and its accurate. So, which one is important? CPU temp or Core temp?

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Best I can find, CPU temp is a sensor on the motherboard, while core temps are on the processor itself. It also seems a 5-10 degree temperature difference is common. I think you are OK regardless.

Mavasilisk

Mavasilisk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The max temps I get are 42*C CPU temp while playing Tera Online with 55*C CPU Core Temp. Its kinda hot at home cuz its 30*C now.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
You are also running an overclock, so more heat is expected. Most CPU coolers are designed to cool stock processors. If you are that worried about it, turn it back to stock. You can't be getting enough change on the OC to make a huge difference in what you are doing/playing. Stock temps should keep you from possibly burning up your CPU.

Mavasilisk

Mavasilisk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The difference in overclock temps and non-overclock temps is like 1-2*C. Back to the topic, which temp is more important? The CPU itself or the Core temps?

Mavasilisk

Mavasilisk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Mega Bump.

EDIT: Can somebody tell me which one is accurate? RealTemp is calibrated to 95*C, CoreTemp is by default, Everest by default, Aida64 is by default and SpeedFan is by default. If I calibrate RealTemp to 85*C (which is he max Tjunction for my CPU the temps drop by 10*C which absolutely can be accurate).

EDIT#2: It looks like the rest of the programs which arent especially made to monitor CPU core temperetures are calibrated to 100*C and show +5*C over my calibrated programs for max 95*C. Somebody answer me, please. I'm confused.

EDIT#3: I realised what's going on here. Tj Max value doesnt make sense. Actually, the important value is the distance to Tj Max. If your TJ is set to 100 for example, it will show your CPU at 50*C (example). If your TJ is set to 95, your CPU will be 45*C. I know its confusing for now but the thing that you have to look at is the distance to TJ max cuz it isnt changing and its constant whatever TJ you set, the CPU knows what to do. I updated this post so people can understand it faster in the future.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Attached Thumbnails

• CPU temps.jpg

Edited by Mavasilisk, 18 January 2013 - 10:55 AM.