Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA HDD backwards compatible?

• Please log in to reply

brettt777

brettt777

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I have an old Dell XPS-710 that I will be replacing. But I want to do a few upgrades to it and let my wife have it for her uses. It only has a 250GB HDD in right now. I would like to upgrade it to a 1 TB drive but I am not finding much in the way of standard SATA drives. Would a SATA 3.0 or 6.0 work in this SATA machine or does it have to be an original serial ATA drive?

Advertisements

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Any SATA drive is fine The 3&6 series are backwards compatible with original SATA ports. Make sure your Os can see a 1TB drive. I know some versions of Windows cannot see that much, and 32 bit versions have Ram limits as well.

brettt777

brettt777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I'll be using XP on that machine. I would think that would be okay with 1 TB...? The computer is limited to 4GB of RAM because of the MB.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
XP 32 bit can see up to a 2TB volume, so 1TB is fine. Even without MB limitations, 32 bit XP cannot see more than 4GB of RAM.