Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My internet keeps disconnecting every 10mins. Help.

• Please log in to reply

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Unsure at this point. We could try disabling the Windows Configuration Service, as it checks every minute or so for the wireless connection and could cause some lag in there, when it happens to disconnect. Don't be shocked if it kills WiFi altogether. Otherwise we have to start considering a hardware issue, like your wireless network card going bad, since you are the only person having this issue. Not to say that it isn't the router, but it seems like something with your system is causing issues compared to everyone else in your house.

Advertisements

Finnda

Finnda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok. How do i disable the service? If it does kill the wifi, can i just re-enabled again to get the wifi back?

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Yes you can. Here are the steps.

Hit Windows + R to bring up your Run box
Enter services.msc and press enter
In the list of services, find WLAN AutoConfig (if using Vista/7)
Right click and choose Properties
Set the Startup Type to Disabled via the dropdown menu
Click the Stop button
Click Apply and then Ok

See what happens. If you disconnect from your wireless altogether, then there is no third party program that is controlling the WiFi in your computer. Reverse the steps to get WiFi back on.

Finnda

Finnda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have disabled the service and the wifi completely dropped out. I then re-enabled it to gt the wifi back. Does this mean it is a hardware issue with my wireless adapter?

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Not necessarily. This tells us that windows is in fact controlling your wireless connection, not another program. Some wifi adapters are controlled by software beyond windows. Is it only every 10 minutes that your wifi drops out, or does it happen more often?

Finnda

Finnda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
The time can vary however the internet is only slowed when doing something low-internet demanding such as replying to you. However when playing multiplayer based games or watching videos the internet is extremely slow or shuts down. There are times of the day when my internet is completely fine, and then it goes back to the way it was.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
This all seems to point to a lag issue, or a point in time where your ping latency is very high. Lets try this. Go to www.speedtest.net and have it run a test. Give me all the data including the Ping, Download Speed and Upload Speed. Also, is anyone else active on the internet connection/home network now, and if so, what are they doing?

Finnda

Finnda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
The other family member just go onto their computer and are doing nothing more than playing a single player game. Also, i have used speedtest in the past and the program have always put the "avatar" on sydney, which is where i live, but now for some reason the person is in the middle of the country as i am trying to ping to the United States. I will post the results anyway.

Finnda

Finnda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ping to San Fransciso CA results = Ping 185ms, Download Speed 2.95Mbps, Upload Speed 0.77Mbps.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Your down & up speed look ok. Your ping is delayed some, but its nowhere near something I would consider to be problematic. Try running it again, but get a server closer to Sydney.

Advertisements

Finnda

Finnda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Results to Canberra (Closest to Sydney) = Ping 40ms, Download Speed 5.41Mbps, Upload Speed 0.82Mbps

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
And that result is even better. Ping came down and speed came up as I expected, without having to cross the ocean. At this point in time, I think you are having wireless card issues. You aren't having internet speed issues, and its isolated to one computer, which makes me think the wireless card is to blame. It is not to say that the router is not the issue, because I have seen that before too, but it makes me first want to look towards the wireless card in your desktop. A replacement may fix this. Just buy something with a good name brand attached to it, and I think you will be ok. I have no idea what computer stores exist near you, or if they have something like NewEgg in Australia.

Edited by fyrfyter33, 17 January 2013 - 07:05 PM.

Finnda

Finnda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok thank you so much for you help. Also, i think disabling the services and re-enabling them has helped. It may just be that "good time of day" again so i may have to wait a day or so and see if it actually has gotten better. The internet has not dropped out, i have no lag, and i can load youtube videos really quickly since the Service Disabled, Re-enabled fix. However this has happened before with other fixes and like i said, will wait a day and see if the internet is still going strong, if it isn't i will take it to a shop to be fixed. Thank you.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.
http://download.blee...MiniToolBox.exe

Checkmark following boxes:

Flush DNS
Reset FF proxy Settings
Reset Ie Proxy Settings
Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Click Go and post the result.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Its not a hard fix to do yourself, if you feel comfortable working in a computer. You can last ditch trying running whatever the tool posted above is.