Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New MOBO, CPU Score Dropped.

• Please log in to reply

Tilth

Tilth

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey all,

Looking to see if someone can shed some light on this and perhaps inform me of what to do.

I have been upgrading my gear and have run into a interesting situation.

I decided to go SLI, only problem was that I realized my mobo (GA-P55A-UD3) didn't support SLI, Only Crossfire. Of course I figure this out after I bought a 2nd Geforce 450. So I searched and found an EVGA mother board (120-LF-E650-TR) that was SLI and had an 1156 Socket so that i could keep my i5 processor.

Ok here is the question:

When I had the GA-P55a-UD3, 1 Geforce 450, 4 gb of ram, and my i5 Processor my Microsoft Experience Index was as follows:

Processor - 7.2
Memory - 7.4
Graphics - 7.2
Gaming Graphics - 7.2
Primary Hard Disk - 7.2

Now I have the EVGA 120-LF-E650-TR, 2 Geforce 450s (SLI), 4gb of ram, and the same i5 Processor and my Experience Index is now this:

Processor - 6.2
Memory - 7.4
Graphics - 7.3
Gaming Graphics - 7.3
Primary Hard Disk - 7.2

Why the huge drop with the Processor???

Thanks for the help,

Tilth

Advertisements

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
The biggest difference I see between the two boards is the Gigabyte used an 8-pin power for the processor, as opposed to the 4 pin power the EVGA uses, according to the images I have found. I have no idea if this is enough to drop the windows experience index a full point, or what the difference between the power of each board is. I am sure this feeds into the internal system bus somehow, but what affect that has on the Windows Experience Rating, I have no idea.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
Hi.
The EVGA is a very basic OEM type board, extremely limited BIOS options, No RAM options, no SATA 6Gb/s no USB 3.0, Probable inferior LAN and Audio, just not going to get the same sort of score, also I see a lack of much improvement in graphics, due to the second slot only running at 4x > http://www.hardware-...rmance-problem/

Can you be sure that with the Gigabyte there was no enhancement to the CPU, turbo,number of cores running etc, as against all stock settings on the EVGA?

Tilth

Tilth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Here are the specs for the board. Seems the PCIe are X8, or X16?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813188064

Thanks for looking into it!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
This site may be of interest to you.
> http://www.geforce.c...hnology/sli/faq

Tilth

Tilth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok,

I decided to switch back to my old (and seemingly more beneficial set up), and when i ran the Microsoft Experience index all of my other scores went back to normal but AGAIN my cpu score dropped. this time to a 5.8?!?! I immediately re ran the test and the CPU went to 5.9, and reason why my cpu score would continue to drop even though i went back to the way it was when i scored a 7.2?

Tilth

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
Your original setting on the CPU may have been different from their present state. The tool is not very accurate and is only really an indicator of the system performance. It should not be used as a benchmarking tool. There are plenty of free real benchmark tools available on the net.