Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my old gaming PC

• Please log in to reply

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
So I just build my Fiancè a new gaming rig and now I'm a bit jealous after testing it out; it just blows away my old gaming PC I built a few years ago. I'd like to use some of the parts I already have and replace the outdated ones.

Current Rig:
Case: Antec 900
PSU: Antec True Power Quatro 1000w
CPU: Q6600 Intel Quad core
CPU Heatsink: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Heatsink
RAM: 8GB DDR2 Corsair XMS3 Dominator
Mobo: XFX 680i Lt SLI
GPUs: 2x XFX 9800GTX+ 775M 515MB DDR3 XXX PCI-E in SLI
OS HD: WD 150GB Raptor 10,000rpm
2nd HD: 1TB WD
OS: Windows 7 Pro x64 dual boot with Windows XP SP3 x64

The only part I have already purchased for myself for this new rig is a PNY SSD 120GB 2.5" SATA III 60Gb/s for my OS to be installed on. I'm thinking that I'll stick with my Windows 7 Pro, the case, the PSU, and the storage drive. I'm assuming the rest have been outdated.

I have put a budget on myself of about $1000 and if I can keep under that it would be awesome.
To start off, I'd like to get a Mobo that is SLI compatible and has wireless built in... so I am thinking the same Mobo that I put in my Fiancè's rig, the ASUS P8Z77-v. From there I'm not quite sure what else I'd like in it. I'm thinking 8GB of RAM (maybe 12 or 16 if I can afford it)(I'm assuming the RAM I already have isn't compatible with this mobo), and a 660 Ti GPU.

Any advice for parts and compatibility is greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Edited by dhitchner, 17 January 2013 - 06:58 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello again dhitchner

Your assessment is spot on as in you will require a new MB, CPU, Ram + the video card that you have already selected yourself.

Couple of questions if I may;

Do you have full retail Windows 7 and XP OS disks, depending on your answer I will explain why I ask.
Are you keeping your present DVD/CD drive.

The good news is that your upgrade will cost nowhere near $1000 <_<

I have included a link to the previous build topic that we worked on, this may give some ideas to others looking to build their own computer http://www.geekstogo...68#entry2243168 and the final list of parts http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vip5

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi dhitchner.
I did reply yesterday but it seems to have gone astray. I did follow your last topic, sorted and well configured by Phillpower2, think he's gone to sleep, Posted ImagePosted Image

You will get no discernible performance gain by upgrading the i5-3570K or the 8GB of RAM.
I have changed the Mobo to the Asrock Extreme6. Not keen on WiFi for gaming, better performance with Ethernet If absolutely nec, add it later.
Changed RAM to low profile, same performance.
Upgrade GPU to GTX 670, needs researching to make sure ii is one that does not dump heat directly into the case.
> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ydO2

If at all possible, change the 120GB SSD to a 240GB

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Hello guys,

Do you have full retail Windows 7 and XP OS disks, depending on your answer I will explain why I ask.
Are you keeping your present DVD/CD drive.

Yes I have full retail versions for both, although I think I'll just be sticking with the Windows 7 this time. It seems to be able to do everything I need.
And Yes I'll be keeping both my DVD and CD drives that I have already.

You will get no discernible performance gain by upgrading the i5-3570K or the 8GB of RAM.
I have changed the Mobo to the Asrock Extreme6. Not keen on WiFi for gaming, better performance with Ethernet If absolutely nec, add it later.
Changed RAM to low profile, same performance.
Upgrade GPU to GTX 670, needs researching to make sure ii is one that does not dump heat directly into the case.
> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ydO2

The main reason I want wifi for my desktop pc is for when I move in with my fiancè. She has an old house and the router is in an inconvenient place (no where near the office). Basically having wireless ability is the only option there. The gaming I'm doing online is mainly MMO gaming, so split second reaction time isn't quite as important as say a FPS (first person shooter). Is that Asrock Extreme6 a much better mobo than the Asus?

If at all possible, change the 120GB SSD to a 240GB

I bought the PNY 120 GB SSD when MacMall messed up and priced it at $27. Bought one for the fiancè and one for myself, so that I already have in hand. If it is really important to get a bigger drive, I suppose I could sell it and get a higher capacity SSD.

Thank you both for helping me out again. :)

Edited by dhitchner, 19 January 2013 - 08:38 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
An alternative list to consider while iammykyl is off somewhere playing golf :whistling:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yoLB I have included a better brand of SSD for no other reason than I do not use the PNY brand and so not aware of the quality or performance, for the price that you paid for it I would suggest that you see how it goes and if you are not happy with it sell it on and purchase either one of the two suggested by iammykyl or myself.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Thank you again phillpower,

I have a couple of questions:
1: Why the change in Mobo from the last build? Is this one better, faster, more stable?

2: iammykyl suggested the 670 GPU and you like the 660 Ti. There is a fairly large price gap. Is the 660 Ti close enough in performance to the 670 not to be worth paying the extra couple hundred? Why the one over the other?

Thank you both, hopefully I'm not stirring up too much trouble LOL

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The parts were suggested so that you had other options to look over, I may have also misunderstood your OP as I thought that you also wished to go for the 660Ti video card.

NB: It would have been easy to suggest the same parts as the previous build :D

Just to add that the 670 is the better card as it is faster and it is 256-bit which gives better video quality - at a price.

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
I'm not set on the 660 Ti, but I do have the budget concern. I'll look over the parts and make a decision when the funds are available.

Thanks again :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Okay, I think I am decided on the better video card (the GTX 670). I did end up buying the Assus P8Z77-V mobo and the Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core CPU. Now all I need are the RAM and GPU. Are there any good deals for the 2 (for less then $500) that you recommend? I'm looking at the Galaxy 67NPH6DV6KXZ GeForce GTX 670 GC 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support GPU. This card seems to be getting the best reviews on NewEgg and it's at a great price. Any thoughts? Thank you again!

btw, this is my current setup so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yU4b... I also have a 22" SyncMaster 2ms monitor (max resolution of 1680x1050) and an Antec True Power Quatro 1000w. These two items I couldn't find in the pc part picker.

Edited by dhitchner, 21 January 2013 - 10:01 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
On special offer http://www.superbiiz...MSI-670_PE&c=CJ

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Review. http://www.hardwarec...-review-21.html

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Is it better than the Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC 67NPH6DV6KXZ? I'm just concerned that the MSI card has only a 74% 5 star(Egg) rating on NewEgg. Also, the core clock of the MSI is higher, but the boost clock of the Galaxy is higher. I'm not sure which is actually better, just a note. I won't be making the purchase for another few days. Thank you again so much for your time!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the review link iammyky :thumbsup:

Things to note about the Galaxy card, the last review date was 8/29/2012 and the card only has a two year warranty as opposed to the last MSI review dated 1/21/2013 + the three year warranty that the MSI card has.

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Okay, I ordered the MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card and a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus for my CPU in case I decide to OC it in the future. Hopefully everything will go well and I'll have my upgraded gaming rig up and running soon. Can't thank you guys enough for your help!