Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my old gaming PC

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
You are welcome and any further questions please ask :thumbsup:

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Sorry I was late with a reply, been really having another look at the 670s. If my purchase, might have been tempted by the Asus but the downside is width, would be problems with SLI on some boards. The top cards all perform within a couple of fps to each other, main difference is in the features. MSI would still have been my choice,

I think you know the main points of building, read the manuals, switch off power, take anti static measure, ensure stand offs in the case match exactly screw holes in the Mobo, do not rush.

I would recommend you purchase a internal system speaker like this, http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html

Any problems, Post.
Good luck.

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Everything has arrived and my PC is completely upgraded! Runs great so far, but I have a question. In the POST, I'm getting a "CPU FAN ERROR" message. It then wants you to hit F1 to go into the bios. The CPU fan seems to be running fine though. I did an override in the BIOS so it wouldn't make me go into bios each time at least, but if there is something I can do to fix this error, I'd love to do that. Any suggestions?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Please download, install and run, HWMonitor, > http://www.cpuid.com...#directiontouse (1.21 setup, english(installation, includes 32 and 64-bit binaries)
Please post a screenshot in your next reply so we can see what is going on.

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Ok, I attached a screenshot of HWMonitor.

Edited by dhitchner, 29 January 2013 - 07:48 AM.

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
btw, I was able to get chat tech-support from Asus. The support guy said that the error is "very common". For some reason certain CPU heat sinks just set off the error during POST.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

The support guy said that the error is "very common". For some reason certain CPU heat sinks just set off the error during POST.

Something I have never come accross, you would think such a bug would have been fixed with a BIOS update.

HWMonitor not picking up al the sensors, CPU fan is running to slow, this may generate the error message.

Please download and run OCCT, to save space on the SSD, I would install to the spinner.
> http://www.ocbase.co...ex.php/download
About, support, > http://www.ocbase.co...dex.php/support
After it start, for this test, > click, power supply, > tools, > on the right side, tick each fan that is listed, > close window, > at the top, click the camara icon, this will take a screen shot, save to the desktop.
> Click ON, will start the test. after about 50 minutes, take another screen shot.
When the test has finished, a report will be shown.
Please post the two screenshots in your next post.

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
iammykyl,

I'm getting an error as soon as I try to run the test. The pop-up message says "Crysis2.exe has stopped working". Then it gives me the options to check online for a solution or just close the program. All I have is the screenshot for before the test was attempted. I've had no problems with this rig so far, it's just that error during post. I can run Star Wars: The Old Republic on absolute max settings and don't have any problems with it.

edit:
Did some research, going to try the beta

Edited by dhitchner, 30 January 2013 - 11:21 PM.

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Okay, ran it for a little over 50 minutes.

The one labeled "screenshot1" is the first screenshot.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
There may be bugs in the Beta ver. Core #0 temp wrong, in the test run, volts on the rails all over the place, CPU fan not showing. Or could be faulty sensors.
In the BIOS, look at PC Health reading.
Also in Asus Probe and Smart Doctor.

Look at the Asus BIOS updates for your MB, see if there is any mention of a fix for faulty sensor reading.

Advertisements

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Asus Probe says it doesn't support this model (mobo I assume) and Smart Doctor says it doesn't support my OS. I went into the BIOS again and found out what was causing the fan error. The minimum limit was set for 600 rpm; since the CPU fan seems to boot up around 550 rpm, it was causing the CPU Fan Error. I reduced the minimum value to 500 and now there is no more error on POST.

Also, I looked at BIOS updates and most of them just say Increased Stability. None of them mention faulty sensors. I think that OCCT was having a problem reading the fan sensor, because HWMonitor and AI Suite II both showed the fan running at a speed while OOCT was reading it as 0.

Edited by dhitchner, 31 January 2013 - 04:18 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Asus Probe says it doesn't support this model (mobo I assume) and Smart Doctor says it doesn't support my

It is mute now seeing you seem to have sorted the issue but perhaps the features are now part of A1 Suite 11,
> http://www.hardocp.c...rboard_review/2

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Thank you so much for you time and help again. I couldn't be more happy with my system. Now, if we can just get my fiancè's computer at 100% ;) Heading there later tonight.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your welcome dhitchner,
Look forward to sorting out the other computer.