Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Resetting to Factory Setting with no disk.

• Please log in to reply

NavyWife

NavyWife

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 531S. My computer has had some major issues, I paid someone to clean it, and he cleaned it up nice, but it's still giving me errors. I played an online game about 8 months ago, same computer/router/modem/internet provider, but when I tried to play a couple weeks ago, it gave me the error; "Unable to connect to remote server". Now I'm able to connect to the game via web browser version, but not through the game's launcher client. I really want to just restore my compy to factory settings, but I can't remember how to do it. (I did it about 2 years ago.)

Model: DCSLA

Any help would be useful. :)

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Your manual is on line here.

Download it and go to page 95, Using Dell PC Restore.

Follow the instructions for the correct version of Windows (XP or Vista) you have.

The instructions end on page 97 step 8.

Do not delete the restore partition, which is what the instructions on the bottom half of page 97 are about. You may need it later as well.

NavyWife

NavyWife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Your manual is on line here.

Download it and go to page 95, Using Dell PC Restore.

Follow the instructions for the correct version of Windows (XP or Vista) you have.

The instructions end on page 97 step 8.

Do not delete the restore partition, which is what the instructions on the bottom half of page 97 are about. You may need it later as well.

Thank you for that. I think I'm doing the right thing, but it's only taking me to "System Restore" with the restore points and I have to pick one. I can't figure out how to get to the actual factory reset. I'm in (F8) safe mode atm and just can't seem to find it.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
If you are running Vista, which I presume you are as you posted in the Vista forum NavyWife then you should see the Vista Advanced Boot Options window, is this not the case?

In the link supplied by CompCav read page 96 scroll down to the Vista scenario.

Edited by Wolfeymole, 18 January 2013 - 08:14 AM.

NavyWife

NavyWife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

If you are running Vista, which I presume you are as you posted in the Vista forum NavyWife then you should see the Vista Advanced Boot Options window, is this not the case?

In the link supplied by CompCav read page 96 scroll down to the Vista scenario.

Okay. When I push F8 once my computer starts up, it takes me to a black screen with these options;
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Enable Boot Logging
Enable Low-Resolution Video
Last Known Good Configuration (Advanced)
Directory Services Restore Mode
Debugging Mode
Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure
Disable Driver Signature Enforcement
Start Windows Normally

I click on the "Directory Services Restore Mode"
It has me log into my account, then from there nothing happens. If I click start menu>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore it gives me the option to Restore from the last created restore point (recommended) or pick a restore point, all of which are from this year even if I hit the "Show older then 5 days".

So, am I doing something wrong not going to the right place? 'Cause that's what I got from the manual. :/

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Try tapping F8 continuously when you see the Dell logo and not before and tell us what happens.

NavyWife

NavyWife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Try tapping F8 continuously when you see the Dell logo and not before and tell us what happens.

Starting tapping F8 once I seen the Dell Logo, and nothing happened. It booted normally and took me to my log in screen. Could this mean that maybe my factory resetting files got deleted at some point?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I have just noticed that you mentioned that you paid someone to clean the machine and what I am hoping is that they have not deleted the Recovery partition.

Can you offer a screen shot of what it says in Disk Management please.

NavyWife

NavyWife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I have just noticed that you mentioned that you paid someone to clean the machine and what I am hoping is that they have not deleted the Recovery partition.

Can you offer a screen shot of what it says in Disk Management please.

Sure.

Attached Thumbnails

• diskManagement.jpg

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Someone has deleted the Recovery partition so no amount of trying to do a back to factory restore will work Navy Wife.

If you want to do a new install the only thing you can use are either a Retail version of Vista or an unbranded OEM of Vista.

Advertisements

NavyWife

NavyWife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Someone has deleted the Recovery partition so no amount of trying to do a back to factory restore will work Navy Wife.

If you want to do a new install the only thing you can use are either a Retail version of Vista or an unbranded OEM of Vista.

Rawr =.= Great and both those cost. Ok, well, thank you so much for the help! I would of been sitting here all day trying to get it to work.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
It will probably have been the bloke that cleaned it for you but he's made a right mess of it as Disk 0 should have looked like this....

EISA Partition
C: OS etc
D: Recovery

In that order.

You're welcome by the way. :thumbsup:

NavyWife

NavyWife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Wolfeymole, if I was to upgrade to Windows 8, would that place the Recovery Partition back on my computer and also do a clean reinstall of the windows operating system it's self? Makes more since to do that if it would, rather then buy another Vista disk.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

if I was to upgrade to Windows 8, would that place the Recovery Partition back on my computer

An emphatic NO.

Personally I'd go for Windows 7 rather than 8 as the Desktop in 8 has completely changed amongst other things.

Win 7 is far superior to Vista in more ways than I care to count lass.

Here's a link to Win 7 Home Premium OEM.

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B004Q0PT3I

Or the 32bit version.

http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_cp_sw_2

Edited by Wolfeymole, 18 January 2013 - 10:28 AM.

NavyWife

NavyWife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

if I was to upgrade to Windows 8, would that place the Recovery Partition back on my computer

An emphatic NO.

Personally I'd go for Windows 7 rather than 8 as the Desktop in 8 has completely changed amongst other things.

Win 7 is far superior to Vista in more ways than I care to count lass.

Here's a link to Win 7 Home Premium OEM.

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B004Q0PT3I

Or the 32bit version.

http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_cp_sw_2

Lol, thank you. That's a bit out of my price range atm, but good to know not to upgrade to Windows 8 lol.