Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"Unable to connect to remote server"

• Please log in to reply

NavyWife

NavyWife

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Before I reset my computer to factory setting, might as well ask for help here.

I use to play a game on outspark called Fiesta. I played for a while up to 8 months ago. I just tried to log in, (after re installing the game) 2 weeks ago, only to get the error "Unable to connect to remote server". They have a browser version of the game that is in Beta right now, and I'm able to connect to the game via the web browser, but not the down loaded client on the same computer. I also have a laptop, and besides it being an HP laptop, it's windows vista as well as my desktop and runs the game just fine. Here are the things I've tried.

Updating Windows Vista
Flushing DNS via cmd
Doing a clean Uninstall and Re-install of the game client (Several times)
Opening the ports to the game
Adding Folders/files into my anti-virus and firewall
Trying the client in Safe Mode
Running as Administrator
Running the program through the program file folder instead of desktop icon
Cleaning Internet Explorer and making sure it's not going through a proxy
Rebooting the Modem/Router

Now, the game works on the laptop which runs through the same internet provider, modem & router, and the game runs on my desktop using the web browser version of the game, but I can't for the life of me get it to run through the game's launcher client. I'm planning on just resetting my computer back to factory setting, but not even sure that would get the game to work. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
are you having any other issues with your desktop? by testing with your laptop, you've proven that the network isn't an issue. Appears to be isolated to your desktop.

lets start by resetting your Firewall settings to default:
http://windows.micro...rewall-settings

1. Open Windows Firewall by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Security, and then clicking Windows Firewall.
2. Click Change settings. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
3. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Restore Defaults.

NavyWife

NavyWife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

are you having any other issues with your desktop? by testing with your laptop, you've proven that the network isn't an issue. Appears to be isolated to your desktop.

lets start by resetting your Firewall settings to default:
http://windows.micro...rewall-settings

1. Open Windows Firewall by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Security, and then clicking Windows Firewall.
2. Click Change settings. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
3. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Restore Defaults.

Thank you starjax for attempting to help me with this! I did as you said and reset the firewall, started the launcher client and got the same error. Any other thoughts?

NavyWife

NavyWife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I'm adding screen shots of the error I get. I downloaded one of the other games, just to see, the launcher does not work for that one either.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 7.jpg
  • 8.jpg

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
ok, JIT Debugger is related to visual studio. Some games require visual studio runtimes to be installed. Go to add/remove programs and look for Microsoft Visual c++ or visual basic runtimes that may be installed.

I would take note of what they are and uninstall them. Reboot the computer when done. Then try reinstalling the game. It should reinstall the runtime it needs as part of its install. If it doesn't, we can always download them from Microsoft.

NavyWife

NavyWife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

ok, JIT Debugger is related to visual studio. Some games require visual studio runtimes to be installed. Go to add/remove programs and look for Microsoft Visual c++ or visual basic runtimes that may be installed.

I would take note of what they are and uninstall them. Reboot the computer when done. Then try reinstalling the game. It should reinstall the runtime it needs as part of its install. If it doesn't, we can always download them from Microsoft.

Okay, so I uninstalled "Microsoft Visual C ++ 2005" along with 3 that ended in "x86 9.0.307" and uninstalled my game. I restarted the computer, then installed the game. It didn't reinstall the Visual so I went to Microsoft and downloaded the visual 2010 and also the 2012 update. I'm still getting the same error upon launching the game client. (Thank you again for trying to help me with this issue.)

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
got me scratching my head on this one. I suspect that you may have a corrupt assembly file base on the screenshots. I'm at a point now that I can recommend two things:

1: check for malware
http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

I don't think you have an infection, but the malware staff here can verify that much better than I can.

2: backup and reset computer

NavyWife

NavyWife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

got me scratching my head on this one. I suspect that you may have a corrupt assembly file base on the screenshots. I'm at a point now that I can recommend two things:

1: check for malware
http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

I don't think you have an infection, but the malware staff here can verify that much better than I can.

2: backup and reset computer

Okay, I'll check for malware. I was going to wipe my comp and start fresh, but I lost my disks, and at some point the factory reset on my computer got deleted, so I can't go anywhere with a reset or restore. The only restore options I have are from 2013, and this has been happening since the last week or so of Dec 2012 so resetting it won't help. Thank you though! Hopefully I don't have malware lol.